Episode XIX- Liar

The tragedy wasn't that history repeating itself

The tragedy wasn't that a naïve girl got roped in the darkness of a fort.

The tragedy wasn't the curse that has been haunting an entire generation and the next is finally coming into the light.

The tragedy was, when he saw her in that frightful state, her spine bent back at a chilling level, her long hair touching the ground, her hands clawing at her throat and body quivering like a dried leaf on a wintry night, he didn't feel horror or awful. He felt as if someone was squeezing the life out of his body. That if something happened to this stranger girl, he wouldn't be able to survive. The beast in him which remain usually silent except for the nights of the full moon, was roaring and bombarding against his skull, fighting to come out and haul her far away from this deadly battlefield of evil forces. He thought that the fates were conspiring against them, trying to snatch her from him.

Feeling responsible for someone's life was different. Feeling protective was fine. But stressing over a fragile doll and accepting her unwelcomed presence all of a sudden, was a shock. His rational mind argued it was out of humanity but he knew, he wasn't human. The beast has never felt this drawn to anyone before. Not to their birth mother or the only woman who beard their child once. But this new girl, simple and silent has coaxed his attention unknowingly from day 1. Yagya hated every bit of it. He wanted to pull his heart out and stomp on it until the bastard understood forbidden ties.

Clutching the back of her neck, he tried to right her unnaturally bent posture. He slowly pulled her straight and heard her spine cracking back in its original position. Her eyes were shut tight and her throat constricted inwards as if she was being choked. Her breaths were ragged. She was gagging and heaving as if the bile was stuck in her chest.

"GAURI"

This was the first time he called her name. Not in a normal voice but with beastly valor. Deep and animalistic. A frown appears between her brows as if she heard him. His hold on the back of her neck tightened when she started to chant God's name, screaming as if she was deeply immersed in a nightmare she can't escape.

"GAURI"

He shouted at the top of his lungs feeling her body shuddering badly and going cold. When nothing worked, his hand raised on its accord and struck her cheek. Yagya has never hit a woman before. He was left dumbstruck. His heart bled at the action. This wasn't him. He would never do that. It was that bloody monster inside him. Slowly taking reigns and pushing him back. No, he can't lose control.

"Damn you, wake up."

Fortunately, her eyes opened, carrying both confusion and fear. She stared at him speechless as if unable to comprehend the situation. At that moment, Kirti's face flashed in front of his eyes. He was reminded of that similar instance, the first time the evil killed two birds with one stone.