Episode- XIII The Reception

"Ma, do I have to? I won't be comfortable in this attire? It shows my arms and shoulders

"Ma, do I have to? I won't be comfortable in this attire? It shows my arms and shoulders."

A scandalized Gauri protested after a happy Vasundhara enters her room in the evening with a bunch of maids in tow.

"Non-sense. You'll look beautiful. I've selected this one from the recent collection of an infamous French designer. People die to make an appointment with her or struggle to buy one of these. Fortunately, an old friend of mine works in the same department and pulled some strings to get us this dress.

Please don't refuse now. This party is very important for the King. Many foreign investors and mega business associates will arrive tonight. The brand you are wearing will raise our status more in their eyes."

The righteous mother-in-law stated and removed her eyes from the mannequin wearing the said gown and faced her distressed daughter-in-law. Gauri was pouting and hugging herself protectively. If Rukmani saw her in such attire, she will rip her spine and drag her back to Shivpuri while beating her with the same spine.

"Listen, Gauri. You've married in a big household and such dresses are expected to be used by people like us. You don't want to embarrass your husband in front of his colleagues, do you? Every woman out there would be dressed as such, you wouldn't want to stand out like a sore thumb, my dear." Vasundhara pats Gauri's shoulder in comfort and leaves the room to get ready herself.

One of the maids passed her an awkward smile and she sighed. Seem like there was no escape from the inevitable. Thankfully her parents wouldn't participate in tonight's festivities, since she was going to visit them tomorrow for pagphera.

Soon, Gauri found herself sitting in front of a mahogany mirror stubbed with precious emeralds while various hands worked to make her appear modern and royal, matching her new lifestyle and status. Numb and confused she watched them plastering layers and layers of makeup. A girl combed her long hair and started to thrust various pins into her scalp to support a styled bun. Biting her tongue from wincing, she sat like a statue as the beauticians adorned her with an exquisite baby pink gown with fine silver embroidery. Her jewelry was kept to a minimum- comprising of a tiara, diamond necklace, earrings, and bracelets. Gauri blinked to make sure she wasn't dreaming after the whole makeover was done. The girl sitting opposite was nothing like the carefree daughter of a farmer. But there sat an elegant and regal princess beholding an articulate aura. She looked ethereal. The beauticians were in a daze seeing the new bride.

"I swear you are the most gorgeous bride I've ever served in my career. God bless you..."

Gauri blushed at the compliment. The artists squealed and tried to take her pictures but Rekha had none of it. She threatened to confiscate their property if they crossed the lines.

When the time came, Rekha swiftly accompanied a nervous Gauri towards the Mayur Palace. The princess was fidgeting more than usual.

'My shoulders are bare.'