Episode XVII- A Deal with the Demon

{A/N: Hey guys, sorry to interrupt the flow

{A/N: Hey guys, sorry to interrupt the flow. As you've come so far in the journey, I would like to know your thoughts about the plot. Is my writing style tolerable? I hope I am not using too many phrases and elongating the things unnecessarily. Whenever I tell a story, my main focus remains on the plot. Not the romance, not the action. Simply facts. Trying to make sense of unfolding events. I hate when things progress without reason. I can't show Yagya falling in love with Gauri instantly. That would be daft. True love stories are slow burn and depthless. 

Also, if you find this work inspiring, kindly share it with your friends. It would mean the world to me. Otherwise, Nakshatra would end up in a corner of lost good works.

Thanks.}

A reliable Ambika nodded at every instruction given by Vasundhara. All the preparations concerning the Queen Mother's departure were made and a Range Rover was standing in front of Chitrakoot Palace. A woeful Gauri watched the event transpiring from the sidelines. A permanent frown was settled between her brows. Her mind far away, wondering why life has tossed a giant tsunami of bad luck in her direction. Her husband was absent, not bothering to bid his mother farewell or show support in grave times like this. He should've been here, making sure her journey goes smooth.

Even the paralyzed old King was here, staring at his wife unblinking from the wheelchair. His head tilted to the side as he listened to whatever she said.

Her chain of thoughts broke when she saw Vasundhara turning in her direction. Gauri immediately straightened from her lost stupor and tried to smile but it came out as a grimace. Understanding her turmoil, the sweet mother-in-law caressed her cheek.

"I will be back before you know. Try to stay out of any trouble and be careful. Ambika will look after you and don't go out alone." Gauri nodded before bending low to touch Vasundhara's feet. "May God bless you."

"Don't worry, mother. I will take care of my father-in-law until your return. Stay assured." Vasundhara smiled and pivoted towards the Range Rover. A guard walks ahead to open the door for her highness, but before she could've settled, Vasundhara suddenly turned and scanned the area. The eyes of a mother looking for her son.

"He must be busy." She mumbled under her breath and climbed inside the car before treacherous tears could break the façade. Was it too much to see her off?

"Let's go."

The woman beckons the driver who instantly steps on the accelerator and drove away.

Gauri rubs her eyes to wipe the accumulating moisture and watches the car disappearing behind the boundary of the fort. As her mother-in-law left, the evening sun dipped behind high mountains in the west.

"We must now retire, young madam. His highness needs his rest and the King has ordered to not venture outside after sunset." Ambika spoke softly and Gauri nodded. Holding the wheelchair from behind, she takes her father-in-law inside but not before catching a lone figure brooding on the terrace of the Palace, clearly staring at them. Her heartbeat rose and she tightens her hold around the wheelchair. It was the King. Lowering her eyes, Gauri immediately hurries inside the Palace and wheels Raghuveer towards his room where two male servants were already waiting to help the ill King.