Episode XI- Have Mercy

"Your auspicious footsteps are purveyor of opulence for the Ranas, my dear

"Your auspicious footsteps are purveyor of opulence for the Ranas, my dear. May the celebrated Kalyani (A woman harbinger of luck and prosperity) be merciful upon you and strengthen your good fortune."

Blessing her new daughter-in-law of the royal family, Vasundhara Devi smiled. Her content blossomed tenfold and reflected through deep pools that have shed many tears in the dark of night. She scrutinized Gauri's lotus-like face which was now flushed red with drooping eyes, tired from the day's activity. The queen mother immediately orders her head maid- Ambika to escort the Yuvrani to her marital chambers.

After paying her respects to the crowd, Gauri follows Ambika's lead. Each step she took felt heavy. The credit goes to her extravagant regal attire and ponderous ancestral jewelry. She struggled to match Ambika's speed while reining the staunch desire of falling on the floor and never getting up.

'Is this woman for real! The energy she carries at such an age! My feet are killing me and this marathon runner is all haughty and swift. Oh, how I wish to put an iron bar weighing mountains on her presumptuous head.'

Gauri's face twisted in a scowl as she tried to match the woman's rapid steps. Just then Ambika halts and took a sharp turn, which momentarily amazed Gauri and she escaped the sudden collision keeping a hand over her heart.

"Yuvrani, did you say something?"

"Ah... Nothing, Ambika Ji. I was just in awe of the garden's beauty. It's simply gorgeous."

Gauri blurted to avoid any slip and turns to her left. She started admiring the lush royal garden that connected the four major architectural splendors, namely- Mayur palace, Chandra Mahal, Aryavarte Mahal, and the main Rajwada palace in a Garuda formation. With various carvings of Nritya Bhangima and Anand Tandav, the walls were living proof of a King's glory.

Eyeing the newly wedded before her, Ambika smugly started.

"Do you know, Ranas were and have always been the most virtuous and illustrious face of Kshatriya varna (warrior class)? We who belong here are habituated to its eminence. Even Princess Kirti, who came from a wealthy family and was versed in such a lifestyle, was left spellbound by the might of Fort. I can't say the same about certain outsiders, too foreign to such powerful outstretch." She added with a smirk.

Gauri had never felt so utterly humiliated before. Her hazel eyes brimmed with unshed emotions as she fisted her veil to check her outburst.

'Now is not the time. Keep calm.'

She repeated the same over and over in her head. The mention of Kirti made her uncomfortable. The reason is unfathomable. Maybe they thought she has taken the first wife's place. Gauri wanted to scream- that it wouldn't be the case. She would never do that, steal someone's memories or slowly erase their existence. She was here to make her place. An awkward silence engulfed the air as the two finally reached their destination.