Episode IX- The Wedding

Gone were the winds that sang the memorandum of cessation

Gone were the winds that sang the memorandum of cessation. Gone were the nights that wrote poetries of woe. The foundation which once supported the haunted obliteration of broken dreams, started putting new bricks of hope. From the blossoming red rose in the well-mowed garden to the waving flag on highest minaret, everything seems as if born again.

From the bed chambers of her Palace, Vasundhara basked in ecstasy. The fragrance of night-blooming jasmine filled each corner with freshness. Joining her hands, she prayed to a rising sun to bring prosperity to her household. Before now, she scarcely smiled, mostly stretched her lips to please others, but after last evening, she has the reason to be at peace for once. Her son was going to get married again. Twirling gracefully on her feet, humming a familiar tune, she floats towards her bedridden husband, who was already looking at her from the corner of his eyes. Bending low, she kisses his forehead and using a sponge and warm water, cleans him.

"Good morning, my love. I hope you slept well. The sky is clear. Sun is bright. I should take you for a stroll in the backyard. I still couldn't believe that our son is getting married after all that's happened. I confess that I have forced him, but you tell me, how can one live their life alone. You always need a partner to share your feelings, someone you can lean on worst days. Gauri is a beautiful girl, both inside and out. Although she comes from a poor family, her heart is rich. I know you wouldn't approve of such relation, of bringing a girl from a lower class, but she is the one. I have this strong feeling."

A tear slipped from the corner of Raghuveer's eye. He has seen her cry on various occasions, complaining about fate and their son, but this morning as she spoke, a hope glimmered behind those lids. She wasn't speaking to soothe her heart. The confidence he only saw years ago oozed from her body. She was sure and he wished whatever had brought her this stability remains till the time lasts. He has given up long ago, the dreams of leaving this bed before death were broken. All he begged, for now, was the safety of his family from the sins that sucked the life out of this fort.

His mistakes have led to this misfortune.

His greed has brought him to this.

As she dressed him, his love for her increased more. Everybody left, she could've done the same but those stupid vows kept her here. Her belief in God kept her here. Years ago, when his father chose her to be his bride, he wasn't pleased. He wasn't ready to give up his player ways and settle down. He was the notorious prince of Rajwada, most handsome and clever. Princesses of various kingdoms drooled over his looks and carnality. He hated his father initially for binding him with this middle-class girl but with time understood her worth. Not only did she accept his flaws but held his hand in the worst time. He didn't deserve her.

Settling him in a sitting position, Vasundhara slowly fed him soup when the door to their chambers was knocked.

"Your highness, the king is here to see you."

"Let him in."

To say she was nervous would be an understatement. The fear of him fleeing from the wedding or calling it off escalated. She started to sweat and breathed uncontrollably. Raghuveer noted this. His heart clenched at the helplessness of being unable to console her.