5. Playing Happy Families

Raya had just finished laying the breakfast table when the boys came down the stairs and entered the room.
She smiled when she saw them walking side by side, as if they did it every day, but the image of them both also saddened her.
"Are you alright?" Asked Sirius, as he took a seat beside Jamie.
"I'm fine" replied Raya.
"Are you sure, because you don't look it. What are you thinking?" Questioned Sirius.
"It's nothing... I just thought about how perfect this feels, with you two coming down for breakfast together. It feels so natural. Like this was the life we should've had. But the perfect normal life was taken from us, before we even got the chance to try, and I hate that".

"It's true that we never got to be a normal family, but we can make up for that now. I know I can only stay a couple of hours, which is why we have to make the most out of it" said Sirius.
"I suppose you're right" sighed Raya as she joined the boys at the table.
"This is an impressive breakfast, mum. Normally all we get is cereal or toast" commented Jamie, as he began tucking into his full English breakfast that had been given to him.
"Well, it's not every day your husband escapes from prison and comes home to have breakfast with you" replied Raya.

"It looks delicious" complimented Sirius.
"Thanks. It's not as good as what the house-elves make at Hogwarts, but I'm sure it will taste fine" reassured Raya.
"I've been living off gruel for 12 years, dreaming of a feast like this. Trust me, this food makes me feel like I'm in heaven" admitted Sirius.
"I'm glad you like it... So, did you boys have a good conversation upstairs?"
"Yes, I think so. And I think we have come to some kind of arrangement, regarding what Jamie should call me"
"What do you mean? I assumed he would call you dad, since you're his father".

"Raya, I've only been in his life for a few minutes, so it's wrong to ask him to call me dad, when I've been absent all this time. I don't want to make either of us feel awkward, by insisting that he calls me dad. I need to earn that title first" Sirius said softly.
"Oh, I didn't think of that" mumbled Raya.
"Calling him dad was going to be odd, since he's a stranger to me. But I also thought it would be weird to call my biological father by his first name" admitted Jamie.
"So, what name did you decide to call him then?" Asked Raya.
"Padfoot" answered Sirius.
"Your animagus name?" Questioned Raya.
"Yes, we thought it would work best for now. Especially as no one else knows about the name Padfoot, so you can refer to me as that outside of this building, without worrying about who is listening".

"That's a good idea" praised Raya.
"Well, I always have my best ideas when you're around" winked Sirius.
"I guess I am a good influence on you" smiled Raya.
"You always have been, ever since we were kids"
"I know. It was my job to stop you and the others from doing something stupid and getting us all into trouble"
"You didn't succeed very often"
"No, I know, we were always in trouble. As a group, we probably had more detentions than any other friend group in history"
"Ah good times. Detention and me were great friends".

Raya chuckled, but frowned when she saw that Jamie had stopped eating.
"What's the matter? Is everything alright?" She asked.
"Yes, I'm fine... It's just, I've never seen you like this before" admitted Jamie.
"Like what?" Quizzed Raya.
"Happy"
"I've been happy before"
"Not like this. Sure, you've smiled and laughed before, but it also seemed like there was a part of you missing. Like you could never be truely happy without the other half of you. It's nice seeing you happy like this".

"Well, they do say that soul mates are never happy when they are apart" Sirius said quietly.
"I guess I have felt like a part of me was missing. And it's so nice to have you back where you belong... But we all know this cannot last. In a few hours you will be gone. We can never be the perfect happy family that we want to be. Peter took that opportunity from us" reminded Raya.
"Which is why I am going to track him down, and make him pay for what he did. Maybe once Peter has been dealt with, I can come back and see you" suggested Sirius.
"It will never be safe for you here"
"I don't mean in the manor. But if I had a safe house somewhere, you could both come and visit me. This doesn't have to be our last meeting".

"I don't intend on it being the last time I see you. Once Jamie is at Hogwarts in September, I will be visiting you in your hideout" announced Raya.
"Is that wise? Besides, how would you even get to me, since you can't apparate?" Questioned Sirius.
"I can just use floo powder. And I can be stealthy when I need to be, I learned from Alastair Moody afterall. Besides, someone will have to check on you, and bring you supplies" answered Raya.
"Alright, you can visit me. But only if you come alone, and never on the same day of the week. And try not to come more than once a month. We don't want the Ministry to track you"
"It sounds like we have a deal then".

"Can't I come with you?" Asked Jamie.
"I'm afraid not. It will be too dangerous. Anyway, 1st years are not allowed to leave the castle grounds. Only those in their 3rd year can visit Hogsmeade, with their parents permission" reminded Raya.
"What about during the school holidays?" Questioned Jamie.
"I said no!".
Jamie's face fell, and Raya sighed.
"Perhaps we could arrange something over Christmas. But I don't want you getting your hopes up" continued Raya.
"Thanks mum" smiled Jamie.

"I don't want you seeing your father's hideout though. Only him and I can learn exactly where he is hiding. I don't want you to do anything that could get you in trouble with the Ministry. I'm already a lost cause, but you're not, and I want you to have a clean slate, so that you can have a good life" insisted Raya.
"Isn't me sitting here now, eating breakfast with an escaped criminal, illegal?" Quizzed Jamie.
"Sort of. But this is our home, so different rules apply here, as we own the land" replied Raya.
"I'm not sure how true that is" chuckled Sirius.
"You're not helping" scolded Raya.

"What about Uncle Remus? Is he going to visit Padfoot with you?" Asked Jamie.
"No. It would be too dangerous to involve my brother in all this" answered Raya sadly.
"But I thought you don't lie or keep secrets anymore" replied Jamie.
"I don't. And I hate keeping secrets from Remus, especially after everything he has done for me. So, if he asks me out right, if I know where Sirius is, then I will answer him honestly. But I will not be telling Remus exactly where Sirius is hiding, as I can't be sure of where his loyalty lies. I don't know for definite that he believes Sirius is innocent. Remus still has a lot of faith in Dumbledore and the Ministry, which is why I don't want him knowing where Sirius is. So, for now, this secret stays between us three".