9. Gift Or A Curse

Raya felt awful for weeks after Remus and Jamie went to Hogwarts, leaving her alone.
Thoughts of Sirius also wove in and out of her head, but she decided it was too risky to see him just yet.
She was stuck inside the Potter Manor with nothing to do all day.
And she couldn't even go out and enjoy herself in town as she had no Muggle money, and she wasn't welcome in wizarding spaces.
At first she thought her feeling ill was just psychological, because she was missing her family, but when she didn't get better, she headed to St Mungo's, to see if there was a reason why she didn't feel well.
And it didn't take long for a Healer to figure out what was wrong with her.

"Well, good news, you're not unwell" announced the Healer, who's name was Florence.
"So, it's all in my head, is it?" Frowned Raya.
"No, that's not what I mean. You're not sick you see, you're pregnant" explained Florence.
Raya's jaw dropped and her head began to spin as she began having a hundred thoughts at once.
"That can't be right" mumbled Raya.
"I ran the test several times, to ensure that no mistakes were made. If I had to guess, I'd say by the size of the baby, it is nearly 2 months old. Which means you will give birth some time in April" informed Florence.

Raya swore under her breath when she realised that the one time she had slept with Sirius since he was imprisoned, had led to her getting pregnant.
"This is just great" groaned Raya.
"I would've thought you would be happy with the news" frowned Florence.
"I couldn't think of anything I need less right now, than a baby" admitted Raya.
"But this child will be a blessing to you and your family. And even though you're a little older than the average new parent, I can't see any risks or health issues, that would stop you from having a normal and natural pregnancy"
"You don't know a thing about me or my family! This baby is not a gift or a blessing, it's a curse. It is just another thing to make the lives of the Black family difficult and miserable".

Raya grabbed her coat and stormed out of the Healer's office, unable to listen anymore.
She had only managed to raise Jamie, with Remus helping her every step of the way. And she wasn't sure that she could do it without her brothers help.
Money was tight, and she could barely afford to look after the child she already had.
Raya was also scared about how the Ministry would react when they found out she had mysteriously gotten pregnant, around the same time her husband had escaped Azkaban. They were going to suspect that she knew where Sirius was.

Raya decided to take the bus home, as she hoped that travelling would clear her mind, and help her think about what she was going to do about the baby.
When Raya returned to the Manor, she found Fudge, and half a dozen aurors standing outside her house.
"Ah, Mrs Black there you are. Where have you been?" Demanded Fudge.
"I told you last time, it's Raya, not Mrs Black. And where I go is of no concern of yours" answered Raya.
"Are you refusing to answer a direct question, put to you by the Minister for Magic!".

Raya sighed, "Fine, if you must know, I was at St Mungo's, because I didn't feel well. The Healers there can confirm my story".
"Why lie about your whereabouts, if you have witnesses to back you up?" Quizzed Fudge curiously.
"Because I didn't feel like you and all your friends needed to know my personal information. I'm not under house arrest afterall, I can go where I please" replied Raya.
"Speaking of houses, we need you to allow us inside the building"
"Fine. But I don't think I will be able to tell you anymore about Sirius than I did last time"
"Oh, we won't be talking this time. I have a warrent to search the property for evidence that Sirius Black has been here".

Fudge removed the warrent from his pocket and handed it to Raya, who read it quickly before letting them into the house.
"I guess you didn't believe me when I said that Sirius would not find a home here" mumbled Raya, as the aurors spread out and began to search the place.
"We have evidence to believe that he came to this part of the country, before heading up north" revealed Fudge.
"Just because he was in the area, it doesn't mean he came here. You can search the place all you want, but you won't find anything"
"We'll see".

"I expect your people to put everything back where they found it. I will not have aurors messing up my home, especially as I do not have magic, so I can't put everything back with a wave of a wand" informed Raya, as her and Fudge stood awkwardly in the hallway.
"It is not my intention to turn your home upside down. But Black is a murderous criminal, who must be found. Searching the home of his wife and son, is something I must do" admitted Fudge.
"His son isn't here, he's at Hogwarts" corrected Raya.
"Nevertheless, this is the home of Sirius Black, so we expect him to return here at some point"
"Well, like I said, Sirius isn't here, not physically anyway".

"What do you mean?" Questioned Fudge.
"Sirius is always with me, as he's my husband, and therefore a part of me. Everything he owns is also here, except for a few things he left in Grimmauld Place, and stuff in the Gringotts vault that I don't have access to. So, if you are looking for evidence that Sirius has been here, then you will find it, because he used to live here. This was his home, and I always feel like he's with me when I'm here. I don't know how your aurors think they will be able to differentiate from Sirius's old stuff, and any new stuff he may have acquired, since leaving Azkaban" answered Raya.

"If Sirius Black is hiding here, they will find him" announced Fudge.
"Well, since he's not here, you've had a wasted journey. And spending all afternoon ransacking my home, will do you no good. Now, do I have to stay and talk to you, or can I do my own thing?" Asked Raya.
"You don't have to stand here. But I just ask that you do not leave the grounds" replied Fudge.
"Fine" sighed Raya, before sitting down into an armchair in the living room, to sit through what she knew would be a very long afternoon.