90. Why!!!

Raya couldn't even imagine attempting to sleep, while her family was in danger. So, she just sat in Sophia's room, with Teddy in her arms.
Every second she was awake she had to fight the urge to wake up Andromeda. Her promise to Tonks was the only thing stopping her from doing so.
Time was moving so slowly, that she felt it was doing so just to spite her, and prolong her suffering.
But eventually, the sun rose on a new day, and Raya was visited by a Patronus message sent by McGonagall.
The message told her that the fighting was over, Voldemort was dead, and that she should head to Hogwarts as soon as possible. But it didn't give any details, so Raya didn't know if Remus, Tonks, and Jamie were alright.

Raya woke up Sophia, and took the children into Andromeda's room, as she needed someone to get her to the castle.
Andromeda was furious that Raya hadn't told her what was going on, but she chose not to fight Raya, as there were more pressing issues.
Neither of them knew if their loved ones were O.K, which is why they had to get to Hogwarts to find out what had happened, before any arguing could take place.
Following McGonagall's instructions, Andromeda apparated them to the Hog's Head where a passageway had appeared, that would lead them into the castle.
The tunnel lead from the pub and into the Room of Requirement, and once out of the room, they all head quickly towards the great hall.

Raya held Sophia's hand as they walked, while her other arm held a sleeping Teddy, for Raya had refused to let Andromeda carry the boy, as she had promised Tonks that she would look after Teddy.
When they reached the hall, Andromeda pushed open the doors, and they stepped inside.
Once in the room, Raya saw at least a hundred people sat on benches, with smiles on their faces, despite the injuries that she could see on their bodies.

"Raya!".
She looked over and saw Harry running towards her.
He was covered in blood and dirt, but he looked otherwise O.K.
Harry hugged Raya gently, careful not to disturb or squish Teddy.
"Thank Merlin you're alright" sighed Raya.
"I can't believe it's really over. Voldemort is dead, and we are free" smiled Harry.
"You did it. You defeated him just as you promised you would" replied Raya.
"It was a team effort"
"Maybe. But I know that in the end, you were the one who stopped him, just as the prophecy said you would. You are the Chosen One afterall".

Harry blushed, and Raya grinned, before looking around at the rest of the happy faces in the hall.
This was when she noticed several missing faces.
"Where is Jamie!" Gasped Raya, as she began to panic, as she couldn't see her son anywhere.
"Don't worry, he's alright" Harry said quickly.
"Then where is he?" Raya asked again.
"He's in the room next door, sitting beside Remus and Tonks"
"Oh thank Merlin. For a moment I thought he might have been badly injured".

Harry couldn't meet her eyes, which made her think that something was very wrong.
"Harry, what is it?" Questioned Raya.
"There were some casualties in the battle" revealed Harry.
"How many?" Quizzed Raya.
"On our side, around 50"
"Merlin's beard... Anyone we know"
"Yes. I'm afraid so".
The cogs in Raya's head began spinning, as she tried to put the missing pieces together.
"When you said that Jamie is sitting beside Remus and Tonks, what exactly did you mean?" She asked quietly.
"I'm sorry Raya. But they are dead. Remus and Tonks were killed by death eaters" answered Harry.

"H-how?" Stuttered Raya.
"Remus was killed by Dolohov, but he was stopped by Flitwick, so you won't be able to get your revenge on him, for he is dead. And Bellatrix murdered Tonks" informed Harry.
"No!" Gasped Andromeda.
"I'm so sorry" mumbled Harry.
"My own sister wouldn't do that" insisted Andromeda.
"We are taling about the same woman who killed Sirius" reminded Harry.
"Yes, but she- she couldn't have killed Dora. She just couldn't"
"I wish there was something I could say that would make this better"
"I can't believe Bella could do something like this, to her own flesh and blood... I'll kill her"
"I'm afraid Mrs Weasley beat you to it. She blew Bellatrix to pieces".

"Remus is really dead" Raya said quietly.
"Yes, Raya. Remus is gone" replied Harry softly.
"Take me to him. Now!" Demanded Raya.
Harry nodded his head and lead the group into the room next door, where the fallen heroes had been laid.
Jamie was sat on the floor in between Tonks and Remus, but he jumped to his feet when he saw the others arrive.
"Mum" he whispered.
Raya let go of Sophia's little hand, and ran over to Jamie throwing her free arm around him, as they both cried together.
The world around Raya seemed to melt away, as she was consumed by grief.

"Can I have a moment alone?" Raya asked quietly.
Jamie nodded, "I'll take Sophia outside".
"Good boy" replied Raya, as Jamie left her side.
Harry followed them out, but Andromeda stood fixed to the spot, as she stared down at her daughter's body.
"Please, can I say my goodbyes in private" begged Raya.
"Be quick" muttered Andromeda, as a single tear slid down her face.
She wiped her face, with the back of her hand and fled from the room.
"Thank you" murmered Raya, before dropping to her knees, in the spot Jamie had once occupied.

Raya placed Teddy into his mothers arms, for what would be the very last time.
She then looked over at her brother's cold, unmoving body, and let out a primal scream.
She felt as if something inside her had broken.
Remus had always been her rock. The one person she could always rely on, and now he, like everyone else in her life, had been taken from her.

One word swam around Raya's head like an evil mermaid.
Why?
Why would Remus be taken from her in this why?
Why would he be killed, less than a month after becoming a father?
Why should his son have to grow up an orphan?
Why should Raya have to live the rest of her life without her brother?
And why should his murderer get a quick death, when she deserved to get her revenge, and kill him slowly and painfully?

All the questions in her mind, had no answers. And even if they did, the answers would not bring her relief or happiness.
She was alone in the world once again.
James, Sirius and Remus had left her.
So, she was now the last Marauder still standing, and she felt sure that the loneliness of that, would kill her.