51. So Close

Raya didn't enjoy kneeling on the cold, hard kitchen floor, but since it was the only way she could talk to Harry, she knew she had to put up with it.
"Hello again" grinned Raya, when Harry and his friends saw her and Sirius appear in the Gryffindor fireplace.
"I didn't expect to see you twice in one day" admitted Harry.
"Well, Sirius wanted to see you, since he missed out earlier. And I wasn't going to pass on a chance to talk to my favourite godson again" replied Raya.
"So, Harry, how's things?" Asked Sirius.
"Not that great. The Ministry has put through another decree, which means we can't hold gatherings like Quidditch-" started Harry.
"Or secret Defense Against the Dark Arts groups" interupted Sirius with a grin.

The kids jaws dropped open.
"How do you know about that?" Demanded Harry.
"You want to choose your meeting places more carefully. The Hog's Head I ask you" replied Sirius.
"Well, it was better than the Three Broomsticks. That's always packed with people" said Hermione defensively.
"Which means you'd be a lot harder to overhear. You've got a lot to learn, Hermione" sighed Sirius.
"He's right. I would never hold a private conversation in such an empty place, where everyone in there can hear every word you say" added Raya.

"So, who overheard us?" Questioned Harry.
"Mundungus. He was the witch under the veil" answered Sirius.
"That was Mundungus. What was he doing at the Hog's Head?" Asked Harry.
"What do you think he was doing? Keeping an eye on you, of course"
"So, I'm still being followed everywhere?"
"Yeah, you are"
"Why didn't Raya just stay with me, since she was already in Hogsmeade?"
"Well, the whole point of you being followed, is that you don't know the other person is there watching you".

"And since I'm a Squib, I don't count as a good enough protector. Which is why I wasn't asked to stay in Hogsmeade to guard you" admitted Raya bitterly.
"That's stupid, you're one of the most dangerous people I know" replied Harry.
"I'll take that as a compliment... But unfortunately the rest of the Order members don't agree with you. Which is why Dung was sent to stalk you instead" sighed Raya.
"I'm pretty sure you could beat him in a fight though"
"Oh easily. I could probably do it with my eyes closed".

"Anyway, getting back to this defence group, we have a message to give you from Molly" announced Sirius.
"Oh yeah? What does mum want?" Asked Ron.
"She says that on no account are you or your siblings to take part in an illegal Defense Against the Dark Arts group" answered Sirius.
"Molly is worried that you will be expelled, and that your lives will be ruined. And she thinks you are too young to be worrying about defending yourself from Voldemort's forces anyway" added Raya.

"Why couldn't she tell me this herself?" Frowned Ron.
"She was worried that an owl might get intercepted, and if that happened, you would all be in a lot of trouble. And she couldn't tell you in person, because she is on guard duty tonight" revealed Sirius.
"On duty, doing what exactly?" Questioned Ron.
"Never you mind" Raya said quickly.
"Anyway, it's fallen on me and Raya to be the messengers. And make sure you let her know that we have warned you, because I don't think she actually trusts us to pass her message on to you" admitted Sirius.

"So, I expect you are also going to tell me that I'm not allowed to take part in the defence group either?" Asked Harry.
"Me? Certainly not. I think it's an excellent idea" announced Sirius.
"You do?" Questioned Harry.
"Of course. Do you think your father and I would've lain down and taken orders from an old hag like Umbridge?"
"But last year you kept telling me to keep my head down"
"Last year we thought that someone at Hogwarts wanted to kill you. This year, we know that someone outside of Hogwarts wants to kill you. So, I think it's a great idea, to learn how to defend yourselves".

"And what if we get expelled?" Quizzed Hermione.
"Well, better expelled and able to defend yourselves, than sitting safely at school, without a clue" answered Sirius.
"Hear hear" said Ron and Harry in unison.
Harry then turned to Raya, who had been rather silent about the defence group.
"What do you think?" He asked quietly.
"I'm in two minds. I think it is vital that you learn to defend yourselves. Because if you don't, you will be no match against Voldemort" replied Raya.

"But?" Questioned Harry.
"But, I don't want you to get on the wrong side of the Ministry. Umbridge has already proven that she's a nasty piece of work, and I don't want you and Jamie getting hurt even more, for doing all this behind her back" admitted Raya.
"Isn't that our choice to make, since it's our lives we are putting on the line?" Quizzed Harry.
"I suppose so. Which is why I am not going to try and you stop you".

"Good. All we need now is a place to practice spells, without being caught" announced Harry.
"The Shrieking Shack?" Suggested Sirius.
"It's too small. It was alright for you 5 to sneak there under the invisibility cloak, but there are 28 of us. And there is no way we'd be able to get there and back without being spotted" informed Hermione.
"What about the Chamber of Secrets, since Harry's the only one who can open the door?" Questioned Raya.

"We can't hold defence meetings in a dark chamber created by Salazar Slytherin" said Harry.
"Why not?" Quizzed Raya.
"Well, for one thing, there's a giant dead Basilisk in there" answered Harry.
"Ah, good point, that would kind of kill the mood"
"It also is quite a walk to get into the main chamber from the girls bathroom. It would take too long to get everyone in and out"
"So, that's a no to the chamber then".

"There used to be a pretty roomy secret passageway behind that big mirror on the 4th floor. You might have enough room to practise jinxes in there" revealed Sirius.
"Fred and George told me it's blocked. The tunnel caved in or something" informed Harry.
"That's a shame. We used to spend a lot of time in there" admitted Raya.
"Yeah. Well, we'll have a think about it and get back to you..." Sirius faltered, and Raya could sense why.
There was another presence there with them.
They looked sideways at the brick wall and saw a hand in the flames coming towards them.
Sirius immediately took hold of Raya and pulled her out of the fireplace, before the hand could reach them.

"Are you alright?" Questioned Sirius, as him and Raya retreated as far away from the fireplace as they could get.
"I think so. You?" Asked Raya.
Sirius nodded.
"What was that?" Quizzed Raya.
"I don't know, but if I were to hazard a guess, I would say that the hand that tried to grab us, belonged to Umbridge" answered Sirius.
"But that's impossible" replied Raya.
"Not necessarily. Umbridge might have found a way to police the Hogwarts fireplaces, with the help of the Ministry"
"If that's true, then we won't be able to use the floo network to talk to Harry anymore".

"Umbridge came very close to grabbing my head just now. And I don't want to find out what happens if she touches me. So, you're right, for now, we will have to avoid using the floo network to see Harry" agreed Sirius.
"I'm glad we are on the same page about this" replied Raya.
"We are. This is one risk I am not willing to take, as it means putting you in danger. Which means that for the time being, the kids are on there own" sighed Sirius.
"At least until the Christmas holidays. Then we will all be living under one roof again"
"Yes, we just have to hold on until Christmas".