40. Out In The Open

Raya refused to leave Harry's bedside, even for a moment.
Remus had brought the kids to the hospital wing so that she could say goodnight to them, before Jamie returned to his dormitory and Remus took Sophia home.
Jamie wanted to stay with Raya, but she insisted that he went back to his tower with the other Ravenclaws, to get a good nights sleep.
Harry had only been asleep for a few hours when Raya heard shouting outside the hospital wing.
"If they keep yelling like that, they're going to wake Harry up" Molly whispered.
"What are they arguing about? Surely nothing else could've gone wrong" replied Hermione.

Suddenly the doors burst open and Fudge walked in with McGonagall and Snape at his heel.
"Where is Dumbledore?" Fudge Questioned Molly.
Padfoot sat up on the bed and growled at Fudge.
"He's not here" answered Molly.
A second later the hospital wing  doors swung open again and Dumbledore strode in.
"What is going on in here? Minerva, why are you not guarding Barty Crouch?" Demanded Dumbledore.
"There is no need to guard him anymore. Fudge has seen to that" shuddered McGonagall.
"When we told the Minister what had happened, he insisted on bringing a Dementor with him, which sucked out Crouch's soul the second it saw him" explained Snape.

Raya shivered, and placed her arm protectively around Padfoot.
"By all accounts it was no loss. It seems as though the man was responsible for several deaths" said Fudge.
"But now he cannot give testimony as to why he killed those people" sighed Dumbledore.
"Why he killed them? That's no mystery. He was a raving lunatic who believed he was carrying out You-Know-Who's instructions" replied Fudge.
"Lord Voldemort was giving him instructions. As Minerva and Severus have doubtless told you, we heard Barty Crouch confess under Vertaserum. We know of his plan to resurrect his master tonight"
"See here Dumbledore, you can't honestly believe that You-Know-Who is back".

"When Harry touched the Triwizard cup tonight, he was transported to a graveyard, where he watched Voldemort's rebirth. I will explain everything to you when we get to my office" informed Dumbledore.
Fudge smiled eerily, "Oh. So, you are prepared to take Harry's word on this, are you?".
"Certainly I believe Harry. I have heard Crouch's confession, and Harry's story fits with his" answered Dumbledore.
"So, you are prepared to believe that You-Know-Who has returned on the word of a lunatic murderer and this boy?" Questioned Fudge.

"You've been reading Rita Skeeter then, Mr Fudge" said Harry, making everyone jump.
Raya had been so focused on Fudge that she hadn't heard Harry wake up.
"So what if I have? You and Dumbledore have been keeping secrets from me. A Parselmouth, hey? And having funny turns all over the place-" started Fudge.
"I assume you are referring to the pain Harry feels in his scar. Now, listen to me Fudge, Harry is as sane as you or I. I believe his scar only hurts him when Voldemort is near by, or feeling particularly murdererous" interupted Dumbledore.

"I've never heard of scars acting as alarm bells before" mocked Fudge.
"My godson is not mad!" Insisted Raya.
"Keep out of this, Black. This matter does not concern you" hissed Fudge.
Padfoot growled once more, and Raya had pull him back, so that he didn't attack Fudge.
"Voldemort has returned, Cornelius, and if you refuse to accept that, then we have reached a parting of the ways. You must act as you see fit, and I will do the same" announced Dumbledore.

"Now, see here Dumbledore, you cannot move against the Ministry" said Fudge sternly.
"The only one I intend to work against, is Lord Voldemort. If you intend to do the same, then we remain on the same side" replied Dumbledore.
"He just can't be back, Dumbledore. He just can't be" mumbled Fudge, unable to hide the fear in his voice.
Fudge then pulled out a bag of galleons and placed them on Harry's bedside table.
"Your winnings. 1000 galleons. There was supposed to be a ceremony, but given the circumstances..." faltered Fudge.

The Minister took one last look at the people in the room, before marching out of the hospital wing.
"There is work to be done... Molly, can I count on you and Arthur?" Asked Dumbledore quietly.
"Of course you can" answered Molly.
"Good. Then I need to get a message to him. All those that can be persuaded of the truth, must be notified immediately, and Arthur is well placed to contact those in the Ministry who are not as short-sighted as Cornelius" replied Dumbledore.
"I will go to dad" announced Bill.