8. All Aboard

Raya had almost no money left, once she had finished buying all Jamie's school supplies, as she hadn't been able to reuse all of her and Sirius's old stuff.
But she didn't care how little money she had, as long as Jamie had a good time at Hogwarts.
And in no time at all, September had arrived, and it was time for the boys to go to school.
Raya had hardly gone a day without seeing Jamie, and her and Remus also hadn't been separated in a long time. So, Raya wasn't looking forward to being on her own, for the very first time.
And with no job to go to, or friends to visit, she knew she was going to be alone in the Manor for the foreseeable future.

After driving to King's Cross Station, Raya escourted Jamie to Platform 9 and 3/4, while Remus followed them.
Once they got onto the platform, everyone gave them a wide birth, and started whispering about them.
This was something Jamie and Raya were used to, so neither of them brought it up, as they made their way across the platform.
Remus said goodbye to Raya first, before entering the train, to ensure he got a carriage all to himself.
Dumbledore had insisted he took the train instead of apparating or using Floo Powder, so Remus had no choice but to obey.

"So, are you all ready?" Asked Raya, once her and Jamie were alone.
"As ready as I can be" answered Jamie.
"Just remember, you have not done anything wrong, so there is no reason for you to be ashamed or have to hide yourself away. That doesn't mean you should walk about as if you own the place though. You're not James" replied Raya.
"Do you wish I was more like my namesake?"
"No. I'm glad you're more like me and your father. I loved James like a brother, but he did have a habit of being rather pig-headed and arrogant. And neither of those qualities will help you at school".

"Don't worry about me. I'll keep my head down and not get into any fights while I'm at Hogwarts" reassured Jamie.
"Unlike most parents, I'm not going to tell you to avoid all fights. Me and the Marauders got into many altercations with other students throughout the years, some magical, and some not. I even got into a fight, all by myself, in my first year. I beat up a Slytherin boy, and it was the best thing I could've done, because it ensured that he stayed away from me, for the rest of our time at Hogwarts. However, I don't want you getting a reputation as someone who fights dirty, as that will not help your situation, since you're not a Squib like me" replied Raya.

Jamie chuckled, "Most parents would not encourage their children to get into fights. They would scold their children for fighting, even if they were not the ones to start the fight".
"Well, I am not most parents. And our situation is a complicated one, so the occasional fisticuffs is something I have no problem with. But, this doesn't mean I want to hear about you seriously injuring people. Severus Snape nearly killed me, while trying to attack James. And Sirius nearly got Snape killed in retaliation. Pranks and fights can go too far, especially as you get older. So just be careful" warned Raya.
"I will mum, I promise. And I don't want to have to fight everyone at school. But I will stick up for myself if someone picks on me" replied Jamie.

"Standing up for yourself and those weaker than you, is a good thing. But starting fights to defend me or your father, is something I don't want you doing" informed Raya.
"Why?" Frowned Jamie.
"Because your classmates are likely to bring Sirius and his crimes up every day. And I don't want you getting into trouble trying to correct them, because you will never stop fighting, and you will be in detention all of the time. Besides, no one can know the truth that your father is innocent, because the Ministry will think I have broken my promise, and throw me in Azkaban" explained Raya.

"But I can't just stand back and let people say horrible things about my parents" insisted Jamie.
"Look, I don't care what people say about me behind my back, and I don't want you getting hurt trying to defend me. It's my job to protect you, and not the other way around. If someone says something, just take a deep breath and let it go. Just like we do at home... But who knows, maybe we are worrying unnecessarily, perhaps your classmates won't care who your dad is. And maybe you will have a great time at school, just like I did" replied Raya.
"I hope so. But it does seem unlikely" sighed Jamie.
"I will keep my fingers crossed for you".

****
Raya was a mess all day, worrying about Jamie.
But finally when evening arrived, she used floo powder to go to Hogsmeade, before walking to the Three Broomsticks, to meet Remus, to hear how things had gone.
She was the first to arrive, and everyone stared at her as she ordered a butterbeer before taking her seat.
Raya didn't like the Three Broomsticks, because it was always so full of people.
But since the Hog's Head was run by Aberforth, and she didn't want to go there, in case he reported what she got up to, to his brother Albus, she was stuck in the Three Broomsticks.

Eventually Remus arrived and joined her, after ordering a drink at the bar.
"So, how was your first day?" Questioned Raya.
"Well, lessons don't start until tomorrow. But it's already been an eventful start to the term" answered Remus.
"Really? What's happened?" Asked Raya.
"For one, the Dementors searched the train for Sirius, and ended up scaring all the students"
"I expect that was Fudge's idea, he really is a moron. Did he really think Sirius was going to try and sneak to Hogwarts on the train with the rest of the students?".

"I don't know what Fudge was thinking. Anyway, I ended up in a carriage with Harry and his friends. The Dementor caused Harry to pass out, but I got rid of it with my Patronus" revealed Remus.
"Oh no. Poor Harry. Is he alright?" Quizzed Raya.
"I gave him some chocolate to make him feel better, and Madam Pomfrey checked him over when we arrived at the castle. He's fine, don't worry" reassured Remus.
"That's a relief. I still can't believe you got to share a compartment with him. What's he like?"
"He looks exactly like James, and for a scary moment I thought it really was him"
"Wow. I can't wait to meet him soon. If Dumbledore has relented and allowed you to see him, then he must be planning to let me do the same in the future"
"I guess we'll have to wait and see".

"What else has happened so far? Come on, you know I'm dying to know what house Jamie is in, so just tell me" encouraged Raya.
"Alright, well, Jamie has been placed into Ravenclaw" revealed Remus.
"Really?" Questioned Raya.
"Yes, I should know, since I was there"
"I'm so glad he wasn't placed in Slytherin. I'm a bit sad he wasn't placed in Gryffindor, but never mind, we will just have to repaint his wall from red to blue when he comes home, that's no big issue. Perhaps being with factual people will be good for him, as they are unlikely to bully him as much as the bold, outgoing Gryffindors".

"Why do you think he was placed in Ravenclaw?" Asked Remus.
"Well, I thought he was going to be too courageous and outgoing to get placed in Ravenclaw. Since we both know he has no issue starting fights. But, he has always liked reading, and has been a seeker of knowledge for ages. Since his father was wrongly accused of murder, and sent to Azkaban with little evidence, Jamie has always liked finding out all the facts of things. Small intricate details have always fascinated him. And I guess the pursuit of knowledge is a Ravenclaw trait" answered Raya.
"I hope he will be happy in Ravenclaw, and find some good friends" admitted Remus.

"Ravenclaws are often solitary and introverted people. Jamie has never had friends before, so maybe that's another reason he was placed in Ravenclaw. But I agree with you, I really hope he finds some nice friends. We had Sirius and James, without whom, we would not have survived Hogwarts. I pray that Jamie doesn't avoid making friends, because he doesn't want to get stabbed in the back, like we were by Peter. But I guess we will just have to wait and see" sighed Raya.
"Yes, it is not up to us to intervene or change his fate" agreed Remus.
"You're right. We must let him chart his own course" replied Raya.