25. Normal Life

Waking up beside Sirius every day, made Raya feel like she was living in a dream.
The life she had yearned for, for so long, was finally a reality, and she couldn't believe it.
Sure, Sirius was technically on the run, and if they were caught with him, they would be imprisoned in Azkaban forever. But this didn't dampen Raya's mood.
They had managed to book a seaside villa in southern France, and they were making the most of their time together, for they all knew it wouldn't last forever.
"This has been the best day of my life" announced Jamie, as he ran out of the water to join his parents on the porch.
"You said that yesterday" reminded Raya, as she sipped a cocktail.

"This day has been better than yesterday. This whole week has been the best week I've ever experienced" admitted Jamie, as he began to dry himself off with his towel.
"I've been happier than I have in a long time, here with you all... But all good things must come to an end" sighed Raya.
"Do we have to go home tomorrow? Can't we stay a little longer?" Pleaded Jamie.
"We've already booked the flights back home, so it's too late to change them. Besides, your father needs to move to a new area. If he stays in one place too long, he might get noticed"
"But surely a couple more days won't hurt"
"Harry's birthday is on the 31st, and I promised him I would be back by then".

"But Harry isn't your son. Surely what I want, comes first. And me and Sophia are the ones who deserve to be with Padfoot" insisted Jamie.
"Harry doesn't have any parents, or a loving uncle like you do. He only has me and Sirius, so we have to look after him" replied Raya.
"Your mother is right. Harry is a part of our lives, and we swore we would protect him if anything happened to his parents. Which means it is our responsibility to treat him well and buy him things, since his aunt and uncle won't" added Sirius.

"I know. But sometimes it feels like you care more about him than you do about me and Sophia" mumbled Jamie.
"You've had me by your side for over 12 years, whereas I've only been back in Harry's life for a few months. He needs me right now, more than you do. And I'm trying to make up for lost time. Besides, you grew up in a mansion, and he grew up in a cupboard under the stairs with an abusive aunt and uncle. So, I don't think you are worse off than him" admitted Raya.
"No, I suppose not" sighed Jamie, as he sat down beside Raya.

"Since you are going home tomorrow, I have one more suprise for you" revealed Sirius.
"Not another gift, surely. You've spoiled us enough already" replied Raya.
Sirius smiled and removed an envelope from his pocket, "Who wants to open it?".
"Give it to Jamie" instructed Raya.
Jamie gleefully took the envelope from Sirius, and tore it open.
"Oh my God" he gasped, when he saw what was inside.
Raya frowned and took the letter from him, "Merlin's beard, Sirius. Two tickets to the Quidditch world cup final".

"This is amazing, thank you so much dad" grinned Jamie.
Sirius's eyes widened, "You- You called me dad".
"Oh, yeah, I guess I did... Is that O.K?" Asked Jamie awkwardly.
"It's fine with me" smiled Sirius.
"Cool" replied Jamie, before taking the tickets back from his mum, to inspect them, and heading inside to get dressed.

"Two last minute tickets to the Quidditch final, how much did that cost?" Raya asked Sirius.
"You don't want to know" answered Sirius.
"No, I suppose I don't... Who is going to look after Sophia while me and Jamie are away?" Questioned Raya.
"I assumed Moony would"
"I suppose I could ask him to watch her for a while, so that me and Jamie can go... I just wish you could come too"
"So do I. But seeing Jamie's happy face when he recieved the tickets, was enough to fill me with joy".

"Remus has been a big help in my life, and I don't know where I would be without him. He helped me raise Jamie, and I certainly couldn't have done it by myself. And I hate that I have to keep leaving Remus behind, to be with you" Raya said quietly.
"Remus is our brother, and he will always be a part of our family. I am also so grateful that he could be a father figure to Jamie, when I was in Azkaban. But, you, me, Jamie and Sophia, are a family as well, and we need to spend time together, just the four of us. There will be times when Remus and Harry can be a part of our family, but we also need to make sure that there are moments when the four of us can be a normal family" admitted Sirius.

"Our family has never been normal. And I don't think pretending to be like everyone else, is good for us. You and I both abandoned our parents to move in with the Potters. We made the other Marauders our brothers, and created our own family. We've also lost more than most people our age, which is why we can never have an ordinary life" sighed Raya.
"But I don't want our kids to end up like us. I want them to have normal lives" insisted Sirius.
"I think it is too late for that" murmered Raya.
"If only Peter hadn't escaped that night, then the four of us would have a chance to be a normal family".

"Even if your name had been cleared, we still wouldn't be an ordinary family. You missed out on Jamie's childhood, and there is nothing we can do to change that. We also have Remus and Harry to think about. Normal families don't have extra people in them, like ours does. But that's O.K. Our lives have never been normal, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad think. As long as our children are happy and well looked after, then that is all that matters. Normal, is a setting on a washing machine, it doesn't equate to real life. And I don't think that anyone we know, has a normal life. Our family is unique, and that is what makes us special" informed Raya.
"You know, sometimes I forget just how much I love you" mumbled Sirius, before leaning in to kiss Raya.
"I love you too" murmered Raya.