11. Not Brothers

Raya knew she needed to tell Remus that she was pregnant, but she wasn't sure how to break the news to him.
She didn't want to do it via an owl, or when Remus's head was in the fire, as she felt that telling him about the baby was best done in person. So she decided to wait until Christmas to tell him and Jamie.
But she changed her plans in early December, when Remus told her through the fireplace that Jamie had gotten into a fight with another student; Harry Potter.

Without stopping to think, Raya ended the conversation with her brother, and used the fireplace to travel to Hogsmeade.
Once in the town, she made her way through the snow and up the hill, towards Hogwarts.
Since she had no magic, the enchantments around the school didn't repel her, and she was able to stroll right through the doors of the castle.
Turning up unannounced was not something you should do, but Raya's hormones were raging around her body. And nothing was going to stop her from checking on her son, and then having a stern talking to with her godson.

Being back at Hogwarts was very strange for Raya, especially as she was no longer a student, and wasn't meant to be there.
However, the castle had always felt like home to her, and being back inside it again, made her feel warm and safe.
She hadn't been there in years, but despite that, she hadn't forgotten even one inch of the castle.
So, Raya was able to make her way towards the hospital wing with ease.

"Mother?" Questioned Jamie, when Raya stepped inside the room.
He was sitting on a hospital bed with Madam Pomfrey beside him, applying an ointment to the bruises on his face.
"Raya!" Gasped the matron, as Raya crossed the room to join them.
"Good evening Madam Pomfrey. Long time no see" replied Raya.
"I must say, I didn't expect to see you"
"I know, but here I am. Now, if you don't mind, I'd like a private word with my injured son"
"You can have 10 minutes, but no more"
"10 minutes is fine".

"Mum, what are you doing here?" Asked Jamie, once Madam Pomfrey had stepped inside her office.
"Remus told me what happened, so I came to check on you" answered Raya.
"You know, most parents don't come to school every time their child gets injured, unless their kid is dying" replied Jamie.
"Well, I'm not like most parents. Besides, I have more than one reason for wanting to come here"
"You want to talk to Harry?"
"Right you are"
"Will Dumbledore allow that?".

"I don't care what Dumbledore will and will not allow. I am not his student any more, and he cannot boss me around... What exactly happened between you and Harry anyway?" Quizzed Raya.
"I don't know. He's been giving me a wide birth all term, just like the other Gryffindors, and most other students. But today he just attacked me, unprovoked. I was walking along a corridor, and he just jumped on me and started bad mouthing my dad. Next thing you know, I'm covered in cuts and bruises, and I have several broken bones" revealed Jamie.
"He must have found out that Sirius is his godfather. Someone must have told him that Sirius was imprisoned for being the secret keeper that sold out his parents. So, now he believes that Sirius is the enemy" sighed Raya.

"I thought only Dumbledore knew about that" frowned Jamie.
"Lots of adults know about what happened- well, what everyone thinks happened anyway. Ministry officials and members of the Order probably all heard the rumours about why Sirius was imprisoned for killing more than a few Muggles" replied Raya.
"Do you know who told Harry?" Asked Jamie.
"No. As far as I'm aware it was Dumbledore's idea to keep Harry as uninformed as possible, so I doubt he told Harry about Sirius. Then again, the man hates us, and may have wanted to put a wedge between me and Harry, before we get the chance to meet".

"I know you wouldn't want me to fight Harry, since he's your godson, which is why I didn't attack him back, and is the reason I'm the only one in the hospital wing. But Madam Pomfrey says I will be all healed in a few hours, so there's no need to worry about me" revealed Jamie.
"That was very noble of you, choosing not to fight Harry. And you're right, had I been allowed to raise Harry, you two would have grown up as brothers. Harry is like my son, and I love him, just like I love you. But, despite this, I don't want you being treated like a punchbag, especially as you aren't responsible for the sins of your parents" admitted Raya.
"I won't let him get the better of me every time. But I'd thought I'd give him the chance to hit me, just this once, since the world does believe that my dad got his parents killed. If things were the other way around, I might have lashed out at him to" replied Jamie.

"I'm very proud with how you are taking this. You've grown up so fast... The other kids here aren't awful to you, because you're a Black, are they?" Questioned Raya.
"Most ignore me or whisper about me, but no more than normal. Everywhere you and I go, people talk about us, so I'm used to it. Some Slytherins wanted me to hang out with them, but I turned them down. I don't want to hang out with death eater kids" answered Jamie.
"I'm sure the Slytherins in your year aren't all bad. But I'm also pleased that you haven't befriended the children of death eaters".

"Draco Malfoy wanted me to join his gang, but I refused. He said that we are cousins, which is why I should be his friend" informed Jamie.
"Sort of. Your dad and his mum are cousins, which makes you sort of second cousins, or cousins once removed. I don't know the official term. But since Sirius was disowned, he is not seen as a member of the Black family, which means we do not have to associate ourselves with people like the Malfoy's" replied Raya.

"If Draco's dad was a death eater, how come he isn't in Azkaban?" Quizzed Jamie.
"Because he claimed to have been under the Imperius Curse the whole time. Which was a lie. Several other death eaters got off because of this as well. I bumped into Lucius lots of times on missions. I couldn't see his face because of the masks the death eaters wear, but I'd recognise that long, blonde hair anywhere" answered Raya.
"Joining Draco's gang would have been the easy option. I wouldn't be picked on, if I had his protection, as he's older than me, and has a lot of influence on those around him. But I didn't want to be what everyone thinks I am. They think I'm death eater spawn, evil through and through. But I want to prove that I'm not like that"
"That's my boy".

"You're not going to come rushing to Hogwarts every time I get into a fight, are you? Because I don't want to get a reputation as a mummy's boy" admitted Jamie.
"Don't worry, this is a one off thing. Unless you get seriously injured, I won't come back here... However, this has come at a good time, because I have some news to tell you. I was going to wait until you and Remus come home for Christmas in a few weeks. But since I'm here now, I might as well tell you. I'm pregnant" revealed Raya.
Jamie's jaw dropped, "You're going to have a baby?".
"Yes, you're going to be a big brother" replied Raya.

"When did this happen?" Questioned Jamie.
"That night your dad came to the house. But no one can know that he is the baby's father, because the Ministry can't know I'm in contact with Sirius. So, if anyone asks, the child's father is a Muggle, whom I don't know the name of, O.K?" Quizzed Raya.
"Yes. I promise I won't tell anyone" insisted Jamie.
"Good, I know I can always rely on you to keep my secrets... Now, that's enough chit chat, I have a godson to meet".
Raya turned around to head to the door, but she found herself blocked by a tall figure in robes, with a long white beard.
"Dumbledore" mumbled Raya, through gritted teeth.
"Good evening Miss Black. Now, can you tell me what you are doing in my school?" Demanded Dumbledore.