15. Mumbai to Pune

Meera's POV.

I never imagined that Dev and me would grow this close. If you look from the outside, you'll see a quiet, introverted Dev who usually keeps to himself.

On the other hand there's me, carefree and extroverted. I can have a good conversation with random strangers on the road or in the bus. But Dev takes time to open up.

In my case it was smooth because of our mutual interest in Harry Potter. I can clearly make out that Dev has never talked to girls before. He's just too shy.

It's different with me though. Never in my dreams did it cross my mind that someday Dev will get annoyed because I talked to Shubman!

Lagta hai I need to find out if he likes me. I clearly do, since I was 19!

In the bus,
Dev was sitting on the window side and through the window he could see Meera approaching the bus. She was wearing a red polo tshirt and white shorts. Dev surely liked the najara in front of him.

He'd like those legs around him one day.

She entered the bus and came to his seat.
"Is the seat still taken?" She teased Dev.
Dev laughed and gestured her to seat beside him.
"After the match, I'll take you to my house and we'll explore Pune on my scooter." Meera said to him.
"You have a license!?" Dev asked mildly surprised.
"Obviously! Why wouldn't I have a license?" She cross questioned.
"I don't want to break my bones!" Dev teased.
Meera crossed her arms and replied, "Okay mat aana. Go to hell!"
"Aye you're very short tempered! I was only joking!" Dev apologized.

As the bus started, Meera told Dev about all the places in Pune that she loved. Everytime she talked about her city, Meera's eyes would twinkle. She unapologetically was a Punekar by heart.
Dev was listening to her intently and staring simultaneously. If someone asked him what she said, he probably wouldn't be able to answer. But if someone asked him to describe Meera's love for Pune, he'd write a paragraph better than Shakespeare would ever.

"Goodluck Cafe is one of the oldest eateries of Pune. It was started in 1935 and it's always flooding with people of all age groups! It's peak Pune vibes!" Meera described animatedly.
"We'll go to Hotel Vaishali also but we'll need real good luck to get a place to sit and eat." Meera added.
"Why's that so?" Dev curiously enquired.
"Aree that hotel is one of the most famous ones in Pune!! You'll see people standing in lines outside the hotel literally at all times. Even at 12'o clock in the noon. It's famous for it's south Indian cuisine and the food is extremely good!"
Dev just nodded and Meera kept on explaining about the places they're going to visit.

It was 4 in the afternoon,the sun was still bright and Meera was sleepy like always. She yawned and looked at him expectantly.
"What?" Dev asked.
"Give my your shoulder." Meera demanded.
"How can I possibly give you my shoulder? I can't possibly tear it from my arm!" Dev said humorously to annoy an already jittery Meera.
"Dude! Stop this bakwass I need someone to sleep with!" Meera whined.
Dev raised an eyebrow at her and smirked.
"Sleep with matlab to sleep on someone's shoulder. Not in the sexual way!" Meera clarified the moment she saw the smug look on his face.
Dev just smiled and devoured the experience of Meera sleeping on his shoulder for the second time. It still felt surreal every time she did that.
She intertwined their arms and slept peacefully.

It was 6 in the evening when the team reached the JW Mariott. After they reached their rooms, Meera showed Dev the different areas of Pune in their vicinity through the window.
Dev could see the love Meera has for Pune.
"You love Pune too much na?"
"Absolutely!! I won't give it up for anyone. When I was accepted for my Masters in Nottingham, I cried because I had to leave Pune and not because I'll miss my parents. I'll be a Punekar forever." She answered genuinely.

Dev loved how she spoke about Pune in that Marathi accent of hers. He had started liking Marathi because of her.
"Will you leave Pune for your future husband?" Dev asked spontaneously.
Meera looked at him for a second.

"Depends. If he's worth it. He'll need to love me madly, deeply and unconditionally to make me give up Pune for him." Meera answered.
"What are your expectations from the boy you'll date?" Dev asked purposely.
"He has to be a Harry Potter fan for sure!" She looked at Dev and said.
"Imagine how annoying it would be to come home and hear your boyfriend criticize the series you've loved ever since you were twelve!" Meera added.

"He'll have to tolerate the way I speak nonstop and never get tired of it. He has to say dialogues from old romance novels like Mr. Darcy to impress me. He should be a little possessive and jealous at times but not like psychotic controlling maniacs. And he should have a beard!" Meera added the last part spontaneously.
"His touch should be enough to send shivers down my spine. His gaze should be intense enough to make my cheeks go red." Meera stated.

Dev couldn't phrase if she was giving him hints or not. He just kept listening whatever she was telling him and tried to absorb the maximum.

"Dev, I need to leave now, I've a team meeting with the support staff. I'll see you tomorrow!" She left saying so and Dev just stood there recalling whatever she said.

He needed to read Pride and Prejudice now.

_________________________________________

Yayyy they're in Pune finallyyyyy!!!!
True Punekars will get the references and even if others don't, I'll explain it in the upcoming chapters.

Tell me about your favorite city in the comments.💝