27. Partners In Crime

3rd July,2022

Since the last few days Dev was pestering Meera with the question, 'you're coming for my birthday,aren't you?'
Meera tried to dodge it and make it seem like she was preoccupied but today Dev asked her to swear on him.

"Swear on me! You're coming or not?" Dev asked evidently irritated.
"Okay I don't wish for you to die"
"Ha to phir tell me!" Dev was on edge.

"Dev I'm really sorry! I won't be able to make it. Your birthday is on Thursday and I've a seminar at Delhi from Wednesday to Saturday."
Dev went silent. Meera hated disappointing him but she was bound by her plan.
"Hello Dev? Are you there? Kuch to bolo." Meera questioned.
"Bolne ko kuch bacha hai?" Dev replied clearly annoyed.

"Yaar don't be disheartened. All your other friends are coming, your family is gonna be there, Rutu will be there. Cheer up!" Meera tried encouraging him.
"Rutu isn't Meera." Dev's tone was disappointed.
"Achha listen you're going to Delhi na?"
"Yeah."
"Please be safe. Delhi isn't a good place. Don't step out of the hotel after 6, send me your live location whenever you travel in a cab and keep a pepper spray with you."
"I don't want to sound like a control freak, it's just concern." Dev elaborated.
"Yes Dev, I will and you don't need to explain anything to me, I know." Meera affirmed.

'Leaving for the airport'
Meera messaged Dev on the morning of 6th July as she was sprawled on her cosy bed in Pune.
'Take care and be safe' Dev replied in seconds.
'I've made arrangements for your gift to reach you on your birthday. Hope you'll like it'. Meera tried to fuel the fire.
'Aap hi humare liye sabse bada gift hai'  Dev replied genuinely.
'Chhi, kya filmy line maara hai'
'🤣🤣🤣'

Meera was sitting in her cabin when Dev called.
"Reached Delhi?"
"Ha ha 10 minutes before." She said while she was leisurely sitting in Pune.
"How's Delhi?"
"Nothing when compared to Pune, also I've to go, hotel aa gaya, talk to you later, byeee." Meera had to lie.
"Bye."

Meera was doing some last minute packing when Rutu called.
"Nighalis ka gharun?"(Have you started for the airport)
"15 minutes madhe nighte." (will be leaving in 15 minutes)
"Do anything but don't miss your flight,please! Dev will cry oceans." Rutu teased her.
"Bavlat! I'm leaving".

Rutu was her partner in their plan. Meera had a flight at 9 in the night and Rutu was going to pick her up from the airport.

"Aik na Dev, one of my friend lives in Bangalore to mein usse milne jaa raha hu. I'll return soon." Rutu lied effortlessly.
"Ja bhai ja par 12 se pehle laut aana."
Rutu nodded and left for the airport.

Rutu spotted Meera and they hugged each other.
"Dev ko itna dukhi nahi dekh sakta yaar mein. Kabse roye jaa raha hai ki Meera nahi to mein birthday celebrate nahi karunga." Rutu joked.
"Aww, poor Dev."
"Lekin use kya pata ki he's gonna get the best birthday present. Uski zindagi mein khushi laut ayegi."
"Bhayanak dramatic this was, Rutu." Meera rolled her eyes as Rutu burst out laughing.

It was 11:15 when the doorbell rang and Dev opened the door.
He couldn't believe his eyes.
Was Meera really infront of him?
He could also see Rutu in the background.
"Bhai Rutu, ab mujhe har jagah Meera dikhayi de rahi hai."