16. Stars and Hugs

The match against Lucknow Super Giants didn't go well with Dev as well as the team.He got out on 10 with Avesh Khan bowling him with a yorker.

Returning to the Pavillion, Meera could see how upset Dev was. He didn't look at anyone and just made his way to the dressing room.

In the bus too, Dev was exceptionally silent and avoided conversation with everyone including Meera.
Meera knew that he needed his space and so she didn't try to converse.

He didn't even have dinner at the stadium and that upset Meera to a great extent because avoiding food is the worst option one can choose.

After returning to the hotel, Dev retarded to his room swiftly and Meera knew that this had affected him deeply.

She had seen his passion about the game ever since he scored his debut fifty in the IPL.
He was the emerging player of that season and he had put every ounce of dedication in his game.
Be it domestic matches or international level matches, Dev would always give his best.
He was a hardworking person in every aspect.
He used to overexert himself in the gym as well as at practice.
He would go on facing balls for hours and not get tired.
Cricket was like oxygen to him.

Meera opened the news and saw all the hatred flooding for Dev.
'Isko Bahar karwa do team se'
'Koi bhi chomu utha ke le ate hai team mein'
She was scrolling when she read a tweet which shocked her to the core.
Tears started flowing down her eyes as she felt helpless and ruined.

It read 'Death for Padikkal'.

Meera's POV.

Has the world gone to such an extreme extent of hatred that there's absolutely no sensitivity left?
How could they even tweet something like this about Dev?

Cricket is just a game even though it's considered a religion in India. Winning and losing is a part and parcel of life and losing doesn't define a person.
People wishing death on Dev should be poisoned for starting such hatred on social media.

Poor Dev most probably doesn't even have any idea about this.
I have to talk to Dev no matter what.
He'll surely be disturbed over whatever has happened and he hasn't eaten anything on top of it.
I wiped my tears and checked the time.

It was 3'o clock in the night.
I called Dev and he picked up in 2 rings.
"Dev, meet me at the swimming pool in 10 minutes."
"Hello, but why?"
"Don't you trust me? I'm not gonna drown you in the pool!"
"Okay okay I'm coming."

At the pool.

"Come, sit". Meera gestured him to take a seat besides her.
Dev sat by the chairs near the pool.
"Isn't it nice? Stars looking over us. It's comparatively cooler today."
"Yeah" Dev said in a low voice.

"Why didn't you eat anything? I was watching you. Bina kuch khaye nikal gaye." She asked softly.
"I wasn't hungry." Dev answered dejectedly.

"You remember Dev, in Chamber of Secrets, in the end, Harry sees that Dumbledore's Phoenix just turns into ashes. But he's astonished to know that it rises again from its own ashes."
"Yeah."
"So, what happened today on the field, doesn't define you as a cricketer. It was just not your day. Everyone has their days, some days you've to bear the brunts but someday you soar high and fly above all! Don't blame yourself, it just wasn't your day!" She said philosophically.
"And then if you look back, you already have four ipl hundreds! That is what defines you correctly." Meera added.

Dev really appreciated what Meera said.
"I brought something for you." Dev was looking at  water when Meera said this.
She brought up a plate of Idli Sambar and kept it in front of him.
"I didn't know what your favorite dish was so I thought Idli Sambar would be perfect. Ab khao."

Dev smiled warmly and looked at Meera who was looking at the stars.
"I've always had this obsession for stars. They must be witnessing so many stories everyday. Some sad, some happy. They must be looking at us looking at them. They're granted the privilege of being present throughout our journey."

Dev just listened keenly.
"Not everybody thanks the stars for just being there. For being a place to vent it all out without being judged. Them shining is like a reassurance that things will be fine soon."
"If you ever miss someone you love dearly, always look at the stars." Meera said to him. Dev was fascinated with the amount of positivity she radiated.

"Yeah,I remember after my Grandfather passed away, Amma told me ki look at the sky amd you'll see your Grandpa smiling through the stars". Dev enunciated.

"Did you finish your food?" Meera asked.
Dev had completely forgotten about the food in front of him.
Meera gave him a look and said, "Now you'll have to eat it cold."
"Let's share. Everytime it's you who shares things with me, iss bar I'll share my food." Dev suggested.
"Okay!!" She agreed excitedly.

Meera opened her mouth and Dev fed her Idli.
He was certainly in a better mood now.
They finished their food and were about to go their respective ways when Meera said to him,
"Dev, achha hua I remembered, tomorrow is Saturday and after that it's Sunday. So tomorrow evening you're coming with me to my house and on Sunday we'll go for Pune Darshan. Don't forget!"

Dev nodded and Meera started to walk away when Dev called her.
His instincts told him to hug her tight and express his gratitude.
He went closer to her and embraced her gently. She was taken aback but responded with equal amount of affection.

They stood like that with Dev's arms around her shoulders while her arms were around his waist.
He towered her and Meera felt very safe in that hug. It felt like home!

"Thank you Meera. Thank you for being there. I know I'd have drowned in thoughts, negativity and self doubt if you hadn't called me here. I try to avoid the hatred as much as possible but ultimately I'm human too. It sets me in emotional turmoil."
"I know, it's natural human tendency and it's bound to happen but we can always try to minimize the effect na?" She said rhetorically.
Dev smiled in their hug.
They separated after and accompanied each other to their floor.

Meera's POV
Gosh that hug! It was so satisfying! It felt like this was all that I was living for. I felt so safe in his arms. I'd want to be in that position forever! I could feel Dev's genuineness and sensitivity in that hug.

Deva, pls keep Dev happy and smiling always. He looks better with a smile on his face.
I'd do anything to see that smile constant on his face. Please protect him Bappa!

I entered my room and just kept a hand on my chest to check my heartbeat, it was soaring high! I don't know what got into me but the next moment I was dancing like Ayesha Jhulka in Pehla Nasha.

Pehla Nasha Pehla Khumar
Naya pyaar hai Naya intezaar
Kar loon main kya apna haal,ae dil-e-bekaraar
Mere dil-e-bekaraar,tu hi bata.

_________________________________________

Yayy they hugged each other, thanks to Dev :)

Also I remember the 'Death for Padikkal' tweet in 2021. It was so disturbing!
God knows how Dev managed to stay strong.

Also, Pehla Nasha💕 such a pretty tune!