Beyond life and death

During the summer, my friend Aarohi went for mountaineering.  He lost his leg and fell off the steep cliff face.  Luckily, he landed on a ledge and it saved his life.  However, he was badly injured and had to be rescued.  The fall hit him on his head and when they brought him to the hospital, he was still unconscious.

    When doctors examined him, swelling was found in his brain.  He had to have an immediate operation.  They were in the operating room for hours and they managed to bring down the swelling, but he was still in a coma.

    A few days later, he recovered and I went to visit him in the hospital.  He told me that when he was unconscious, he had a very strange dream.

    In the dream, Aarohi found himself standing at a deserted metro station.  No one else was visible.  When the train reached the station, he boarded it.

    There were no other passengers on the train.  Arohi was all alone.  After much effort the speed of the train slowed down and it reached another station.  He looked out the window and saw that the platform was deserted.

    Just then, he heard a low, hoarse voice over the intercom: "Next stop, last stop.  Next stop, end of line.  ,

    Something about the announcement sent a chill down his spine.  As the doors were closing, he jumped out of his seat and managed to get off the train.

    This was the moment he awoke from the coma.

    The doctors told him that he was lucky that he survived.  He said that for some time he was swinging between life and death.

    When Aarohi told me about his dream, I saw that he was getting upset and his face was turning pale.

    I asked him why it bothered him so much and he said, "What if I hadn't landed at that train station? What if I had stayed on the train to the end of the line?"