Scissors

Last year, I was on my way home from a business trip and when my plane was delayed in an unfamiliar city.  Forced to spend the night there, I searched online and booked a cheap hotel that was close to the airport.  When I reached the hotel I was disappointed how dirty and shabby it was.  I thought about trying to find another hotel, but that weekend everything was completely booked up.

   When I reached my room, there was a heavy, unpleasant smell in the air.  The whole atmosphere was feeling suffocating and cold.  I pulled back the bed linen and found something strange on the sheets below.  It was a pair of rusty metal scissors.

   "Ugh, that's terrible," I said to myself.  "The maid didn't even bother to clean the room properly."

   I picked them up with disgust and put them on the bedside table.  I was so tired that I couldn't wake up.  I went to bed and decided that I would complain about the scissors in the morning.

   Lying between the dirty sheets, I closed my eyes and tried to sleep.  In the middle of the night, I had an unusual dream.  I felt a heavy weight exerting pressure on me and the strangest feeling was that someone was watching me.

   I don't know what time I woke up, but the room was still dark.  When I reached out and turned on the bedside lamp, my hair stood on end.  Rusty scissors lay on my chest and the blades closed on either side of my neck, digging into the skin.  An inch more scissors would have cut my throat.