Evidence

Andy is a blind photographer.  As a child, Andy is distrustful of his own mother.  She tells him about the garden outside her bedroom window.  She tells him that someone is plucking the leaves, but he cannot hear the sound and angrily decides that she is lying to him.

That childhood experience will have a profound effect on Andy in adulthood, as he anticipates that visually impaired people will take advantage of his blindness to lie to him, or worse, pity him.  He has grown into a resentful, inexplicably bitter person who spends his days taking a few pictures of the world around him, then describing different people.  He uses these photographs and Braille descriptions before using them as "proof" that the world around him really is as others tell him.  He also takes secret pleasure in rebuking the romantic advances of his housekeeper, Samantha.

Samantha harbors a deep-seated and obsessive crush on Andy, as evidenced by the scores of photos of her adorning the walls of her flat, and takes out her unrequited love frustration by tormenting Andy in small ways.  is, such as rearranging the furniture in his house.  Andy keeps Samantha around because her love and hate for him means  he knows she can't take pity on him.

One day Andy encounters Russell, and he is pleased with the depth and detail with which Russell describes his photographs.  The two upbringings become close friends, and Andy soon begins to trust her completely.  The jealous Samantha is threatened by Russell's growing presence in Andy's life.  She seduces Russell, and Andy catches the two in the act, before Andy reluctantly lies to her about it.  Samantha recognizes this opportunity to fail Andy again, and sets up a chain of events that prompts Andy to discover Russell's dishonesty.  Russell is devastated and plunged into a deep despair, and breaks off his friendship with Russell.  Later, Russell confronts her, and tries to convince her that everyone has flaws, and should not be judged on such simple terms.  "People lie," he tells Andy, "but not all the time. And that's the point."  Andy does not react, but is moved by Andy's passionate words.  Andy later decides to dismiss Samantha, but accepts his role in deliberately opposing her in their love-hate relationship.  Despite his openness, she is furious that her efforts have been in vain, and when she is asked to return the key to Andy's house, she throws it into a sink full of water.

Finally, Andy asks Russell to describe one last picture for her, which he has kept off for years.  Andy previously told Russell that this was his first and most important photo ever.  This is a photo of the garden from Andy's childhood, taken moments after his mother described it on that fateful day.  However, Russell's detailed description involves Andy's mother telling him the iconic figure raking leaves, which he had rejected all these years.  This revelation gives Andy his proof and emotional release.