Bizarre

Two women, Emily and Rachel, live in the city of Toronto.  They lead completely different lives.  Emily lives a happy life with her husband, Ross, whom she loves dearly.  He has a son named Joey, who runs away and darts between interstate cars.  To keep him safe, she ties him to a tree in the backyard like a dog.  She sees it as a way to prevent her from running away, as he loves it outside and hates it in the house.  They have a very messy home and are constantly adopting pets to sell.  When they are not sold, her husband kills them.  He justifies his killings by saying that he grew up on a farm, and that dying of animals was a constant part of life.  Emily wants nothing more than to please him, so she accepts the behavior.

Rachel has a different life.  She also has a son who has behavioral problems, which she solves by sticking to a video game in hand.  Emily had a troubled childhood and was neglected by her mother.  The two women meet when Rachel comes to Emily's house to buy a new puppy for their children. Rachel's children beg her to adopt, but after seeing Joey out the window tied to a tree, Rachel decides against it and abruptly leaves.  To save her husband from killing the puppy, Emily later leaves him in a nearby corn field to die.