Sleep paralysis

It's a simple enough thing.  It is a part of the body's sleep process.  Sleep paralysis, isn't it?  No big deal, really.  Your body produces a chemical that paralyzes your body during R.E.M sleep to prevent you from hurting yourself during your dreams.  No big deal.
  OK, so, you open your eyes and you can't move your body.  This is chemistry.  Oh, you try to wiggle those toes, but it ain't happening.  forget it.  Take rest.  It will go away.  This is right.  it's common.
  Oh, now something's pressing on your chest, so hard, it's making it hard to breathe.  It's heavy, very heavy, whatever you have on your chest.  chemicals.  It is all chemistry.  Stop yelling, it won't work.  Your throat muscles are also paralyzed.  You still can't breathe.

  You're staring at a blank ceiling, you can't look anywhere else.  Shadows fly into your vision, forming shapes that you try not to think about.  A clawed hand, jagged, shadowy teeth gleam.  All images from your subconscious.  A face drawn on you, black void eyes overflowing.  you think you
  Sibling listen to the whisper.  Angry hissing, as if a snake is upset.
  Suddenly, a bright white light briefly flares up in the room as a car pulls into the street, dispelling the shadow.  The weight is gone.  You can breathe, your hands clench the sheets.
  You feel like an eternity has passed but it was all the work of a moment.  You grumble, just to prove to yourself you can do it.  You sit up, take a deep breath, and then laugh at yourself a little.  Sleep paralysis.  Foolish.

  You turn to wake up your spouse, eager to share your experience.  You feel paralyzed again, but this has nothing to do with sleep paralysis.  You stare at the blood, the jagged wound in his throat, his wide, staring eyes, mouth open in a voiceless scream.

  You've escaped your Old hag syndrome.
  She did not.