Knock knock

As their mother was leaving, she told her children not to open the door under any circumstances.

"If someone knocks, don't answer it," he told them.

But the boy and his sister did not heed their mother's warning. They thought she was being too careful. They felt that they could take care of themselves in any situation.

About an hour after the parents left, the children heard "knock, knock, knock" at the front door. He decided to ignore it, but again, he heard "knock, knock, knock." This happened over and over again and each time it got louder.

Eventually, the girl could no longer stand it and told her brother that she was going to answer the door. When the boy reminded her of her mother's warning, the girl did not listen to him.

Again, he heard "knock, knock, knock" at the door. Finally the sister went downstairs. His brother was lying on the sofa watching TV. He heard the footsteps of his sister as he came down the stairs. He heard her asking aloud, "Who is this?". He heard her unlock the front door.

Then he only heard silence. He lay there for a while, hearing some noise, but hearing nothing. Eventually he got scared. His sister had still not returned. He was afraid to call his sister, so he sneaked out through the back door and went to his neighbor's house.

When he went to their house, his neighbor was watching the local news channel on TV. The news anchor on TV was talking about a murder. He then showed a reporter live at the murder scene.

The neighbor said to the boy, "Hey this is your house".

The boy was trembling with fear. "That's my home", he said. "And that's my front door".