𝟎𝟏

I never believed in celebrating birthdays until my little girl came into this world

I never believed in celebrating birthdays until my little girl came into this world. I was never allowed to celebrate my birthday but I want to make it right for my girl and let her celebrate all the birthdays as she grows.

And if it means just us two celebrating for the rest of our lives, then I'll make it grand every single time.

"Dada, Dada! Good mwning!" My bedroom door flings open and I watch my daughter toddle over towards the bed. She climbs on it and hurries to my lap.

"Good morning my beautiful girl. Someone told me that it's a special princess birthday today!"

"Mine dada! Mine!" She jumps on my lap making me chuckle. Her little smile instantly makes me smile, it makes my day because when she does smile I know I'm doing the right job of taking care of her.

"Do you know how old you turned today, sweetheart?" I kiss her forehead and she snuggles into my bare chest.

"Thwee!" She exclaims, holding up three fingers in the air to show me.

"Yes baby, three! My princess is growing up into a big girl now!" She jumps back up, facing me as she wraps her small arms around my neck.

"Dada, can I opn my pwsnts?" She pouts her lips, showering kisses all over my cheeks as her way of persuasion and urging me to get out of bed. Just like me.

"Let's go then, baby." I pick her up as I get out of bed, and we head downstairs to the room I kept her presents a secret. It's just the two of us in this house and it will always just be us. Many nights I've had no sleep, wondering if Dalia wasn't here, what would I be doing? This house is all hers, I built this for her, I built this mafia to protect us. And if I'm not here one day, she has all this protection.

She skips in front of me, her small legs almost making it difficult for her to skip. Chuckling under my breath, I see every bit of me in her. "Dada wher wre the pwsnts?" She was so eager to see her presents and it only makes me happy because it's all I want for her.

"Hang on, my princess. They're all right there." We enter her little playroom where I'd laid out the presents the night before. I could buy her the world, the stars, the moon, anything she wants so I don't see her upset. A tiny gasp escapes from her mouth as she runs right into the presents. Giggles are let out, twirls are spun and her arms were being thrown into the air.

"Dada, dada! So mny pwsnts!" She exclaims, walking around, not knowing where to start. I kneel in front of her, handing her the first present I wanted to give her.

"I know baby, they're all for you! But before you open them, I want to give you a special present." I say in a hushed tone, she quietens while I smile back at her. I push golden blonde hair behind her ears, then take out the present I want to give her.

Opening the box, I show her a rosy pink Dahlia flower pendant which she widens her eyes at. Her tiny fingers touch the silver chain and I take it out to clasp on her. "This is for you my princess. Never take it off okay?" Once clasping the pendant on her, I turn around and kiss her forehead.