𝟐𝟏

Get

Get. Off. Me.

You're just like her.

God, maybe I am just a fool. I've always been the fool. How could he say that to me? I can't think right now, I can't think of him right now. I'm a fool for letting tears roll down my cheek when I shouldn't even be crying.

I let myself believe that maybe he was the right one for me. That despite who he was, I saw him for him. I saw him differently and letting myself into his world was just as wrong as slowly falling in love with him.

Yet I still have to face him, for the case. But whatever he's hiding and what he did last night, I need to find out what it was about.

Staring at my phone, I didn't know why I thought he would send a message or call. I was so tempted to just block his number but I needed it, I needed it for his custody. Sucking in my breath, I wipe the tears off my face—telling myself that this shouldn't affect me, instead, I have to do what I'm good at.

I have to face it, even if it means putting my heart aside and letting the feelings disappear. Putting my phone down, it buzzes at the same time and just like that those emotions I just had buried away, switch back on.

Resisting to flip the phone, I close my eyes and once again fall into the trap, I check to see who it was. Hitching my breath, my body quavers regretting looking at the notification.

Elijah: Scarlett baby, I'm sorry. Let me explain.

Fighting my tears back, I close my phone and throw it back onto the couch. He can't do this, he can't call me baby after what he said. I got compared to his dead wife and apparently, I'm the same as her. Taking the week off was a waste, I should just go back to work. But work is him. My work still revolves around Elijah.

God, what mistake have I made?

A wave of sadness floods within me, and unsettling emotions sit around me as confusion about last night's events plays in my head. The ache in my heart should be nothing more than it is but why is it breaking me apart?

He's everywhere—in my head, the taste of his lips on mine, the delicate touch on my body, the adulating words he whispers in my ear repeatedly cross my mind. Looking out the window, the heavy rain seems to yank me back to reality, the sound of it tapping on my window calming me down as my tears soon start to fade away.

After an hour, I called Aurelia to come over and spend the evening with me. I didn't know whether to tell her about Elijah but I promised him I wouldn't say a thing about us. We were watching a movie, hoping that he wouldn't come into mind but still regardless of what I do, he was there.

"Scarlett, are you okay? You've been letting out tears for the past twenty minutes..."

Feeling Aurelia touch my shoulders, I quickly wipe the wet tears on my cheeks, looking at her with a small smile. "I—I'm fine. I'm just thinking about my mother." I whisper back at her—not a complete lie because I was thinking about Elijah as well as my mother.