𝟐𝟐

The greatest mistake I've ever made was agreeing to marry Amara Stanley

The greatest mistake I've ever made was agreeing to marry Amara Stanley. And now because of it my heart is breaking, fading away slowly because I may have just lost the woman I care for.

It's been two weeks of not seeing her, two weeks of not hearing her voice, not seeing that smile. Nothing like this should affect me but for some reason, Scarlett has made me feel this heartache. I don't know what to do or to who to speak—I never have shared anything like that.

She said she'd contact me regarding the case but she hasn't even done that either. This was all my fault, I let that woman get in my head and fool me into doing this. Amara was a nightmare and she still is every night.

"Elijah you need to get out of your room. It's been two weeks." Sebastian comes knocking in, I hush him because Dalia was sleeping on my bed.

"I can work perfectly from my room. I don't need to get out." Not looking at him, my eyes were fixated on my laptop yet my mind was on Scarlett.

"Look at you, Eli. You're a mess."

"I don't care. No one is looking at me." Sipping on my bourbon, I hear him walk closer to me and bring a spare chair over.

"What's happened, Elijah? You haven't said a thing to me." He's right. I haven't told him what happened and I don't think I want to tell anyone yet.

"There's nothing to tell. We've been very busy at the restaurants and clubs." I tell him, thinking of any excuse just so I don't spill anything about Scarlett and me. Looking at him, I show him the screen of the increase in profits we've had over the past few months.

"Are you sure that's all?" He asks again and for some reason, I was getting frustrated by it. Everything around me was collapsing—I didn't want to think about it, about her because if I did then maybe I'll completely collapse.

"That's all, Seb. Don't you have any work to do?" Speaking coldly, I stand up and walk over to my daughter—the only thing that's bringing me peace right now. Sitting beside her, I kiss her cheek and push her hair aside so it wasn't bothering her whilst she sleeps.

"I'm going to head to the warehouse soon." He speaks, monotone because I almost yelled at him.

"Keep me updated."

"I will. Just take care of yourself, Eli." He sighs, and I know releasing my anger on him isn't right but knowing when something is your fault, you can't help but let go of all the emotions inside of you.

"Whatever Seb, I'm completely fine." Rolling my eyes, I take out my phone—as I have for the past two weeks—waiting to see if she would message me. Everything she said to me that night was true, her words were right and everything I did was just a betrayal of her heart and mine.

Once Seb leaves the room, I do the dumbest decision and message her.

She's got me so locked in her world that she's the only thing I can think about. My entire mind is revolved around her; everything about her, I have memorised. The red lipstick that she always wears and never lets it smudge, the confidence in her like she knows everything that's going on around her, the hesitant smile she gives when something happens because she rarely smiles, the glossy pupils when she's happy about something.