𝟏𝟐

Coming to the same hospital room for over five years is a chrysalis but in the worst way possible

Coming to the same hospital room for over five years is a chrysalis but in the worst way possible. Seeing my mum in the same position for five years is slowly breaking me down into something I don't know the outcome of.

I would have never believed that I would be spending my days and nights at a hospital, visiting my mum for something she didn't deserve to go through. Holding her soft, warmed hands, I slowly caress them as I stare at her sleeping state.

"Scarlett, sweetie, you've been here for the whole day. Why don't you go home?" Marissa walks into the room with a tray of food, supposedly for my mum.

"Is that for her?" I half-whisper and she nods with a small smile whilst placing the tray on the table. "What if she doesn't wake up Marissa?" I look down at my hands, squeezing my mum's hand lightly hoping she wakes up.

"Sweetie, you see that tube connected to her stomach, we feed her through that." She says and I notice the tube dangling and it makes my heart twinge that she has to go through all this.

"She has to wake up soon, Marissa. I-I can't see her like this for another day let alone another year." Holding back my tears, my eyes rest on the machine attached to her, watching her slow heartbeat. Turning my back to Marissa, the moment I see her I pull her into a hug.

"Scarlett, my child—" She whispers, kissing my head as she holds me close to my chest, "She will wake up soon. I know it because she's improving every day, little by little." I know she was trying to reassure me but how do I believe her when all I see is everything she went through?

"Will she?" I choke on my words, letting my tears fall finally.

"She will, she will sweetie." She rubs my back and tightens my arms around her, thinking of her as a motherly figure. "But when she wakes up, you need to be strong for her. She cannot see you like this, love."

"I-I can't be, Marrisa. I-I can't..." Everything in me was slowly dragging down. The strength I had built was deteriorating, I'm letting myself become weak and maybe—maybe I am and I just haven't realised it.

"Don't cry Scarlett, your mother can probably hear you, you know?" She whispers and I know she's right but I can't help it. I would switch positions just so she could be here, standing alive and doing what she's best at.

Hitching my breath in, I pull apart from her to face my mother. Feeling Marissa's hand on my shoulder, I lean in to kiss my mother's forehead. "I love you mum and I know you can hear me. I want you to know that, I am going to do everything in my power to get you up. You need to live for me, mum." Whispering to her, I really hope she does hear me.

Taking my mother's hand, I kiss her knuckles and squeeze them tight to feel the warmth of her hands on mine. I don't want to leave but being here the whole day, I put all my work aside and even though it seemed like a good idea to take a break, I still have to work on Elijah's case.