𝟎𝟓

Parenthood

Parenthood. It's the toughest job a person can do. Seeing my mother bring me up alone was heartbreaking enough and now seeing Dalia being brought up with just Elijah, I feel the heartache for both of them. It's like I'm seeing my own childhood in Dalia's life. That sweet innocent child growing up with a single parent and not having a clue about a single thing in life.

But nevertheless, the way I've already seen Elijah take care of her, no other parent can match. It's true what I found out, he prioritises Dalia over his mafia. And it's a promise to myself and to them that I will do everything in my power to keep them together forever.

I'm back at my apartment but everything feels so empty. Without my mother here, nothing feels the same. I live alone, eat alone, sleep alone - everything I do is alone. Aurelia does come here often to check up on me but when she doesn't it's like my world is crumbling. Everyone sees me as the bubbly Scarlett, the outgoing lawyer but like they say never judge a book by its cover.

I'm currently going through Elijah's case, reading more about his background. But as I do, all I can think about is our meeting. The way he spoke in a delicate manner yet egotistic way, his smile every time he found something amusing and the look he expresses whenever he talked to Dalia.

"Elijah Miller what could you be hiding?" I mutter to myself as I repeatedly scan over the words in front of me. Despite telling me he had no illegal activities, some part of me thinks he does. These files don't say much other than mentioning what businesses he owns and that he runs the mafia. Of course, he'd be hiding everything that I don't want to know.

Just even running the mafia is somewhat illegal. People fear him which is why they don't dare to cross his way. But why get the court involved?  This frustrates me. He's a complicated man and if I don't get enough evidence, then this custody case will go the other way round.

And on other hand, my mind is still with my mother. I haven't been back to the hospital and my heart yearns. If she woke up, Marissa would've called me and because she hasn't I feel like drowning. To see her eyes open and stay conscious is all I want, to see her attend my court hearings is the one thing I've always wanted but when I see her suffering on the hospital bed, I don't know what I want anymore.

Not being able to think straight, I decided to go out and get some fresh air. Sometimes, I don't know where I end up. I walk into the unknown and come back to the loneliness. New York in the evenings is like being in a whole other world. Just being here is surreal and it's like my dream come true. Moving from London to here was hard to even think about but getting away from your nightmares, you have to do anything to protect yourself.

As I walk, I watch how each building almost races up fighting to be the tallest in the city. New York screams upbeat and fast-paced life and keeping up with is chaotic. Watching the people rush through the busy streets, and cross the lights makes it lively here. Yet I, I still somehow live in a bubble with my nightmare still following and as much as I try to chase away from it, it doesn't leave me.