𝟑𝟒

"Baby—" No

"Baby—" No. No Elijah, I can't do this. "Look at me, darling," Feeling him lift my chin, the only thing I could see was blur as I look at him. He wipes my tears but more comes through, "I got you, Scarlett. I got you, okay?"

"She's g-gone, Elijah. She's gone." It hurt like a stab in my heart saying that myself. I drop myself to the floor, bringing my knees to my chest and let my tears take over that echo in this cold, dead room. I feel Elijah sit beside me and he wraps his arm around my body, holding me close to his chest.

"Let it out, okay? It's better if you do it now than later." His soft whispers are head amongst my cries, I hold onto his shirt, feeling my tears make it wet in seconds.

"Why did she have to go now? Why n-now?" I was broken, shattered, almost as if I was buried six feet under. Bereavement and grief were like a sudden hit in my stomach, my tears come out hot and endless, drenching Elijah's shirt.

"Your mother wouldn't want you to cry like this, Scarlett," He grabs my chin ever so gently, my teary eyes could barely even shape his face but the moment he presses his hand on my cheek, I felt a peace in my body, "Tell me, darling, she wouldn't want you to cry, right?"

I shake my head hesitantly, but he was right, my mum wouldn't like me crying like this, especially when she told me not to before she took her last breath. Sucking in my breath, I squeeze my eyes shut to stop my tears, "It's all my fault, Elijah. I let that nurse in, I didn't even check for id or anything."

"It's not your fault. It will never be your fault."

"No, you don't understand, Elijah. Everything that my mother went through, it's all because of m-me." It really was. The day my mother had to go to the hospital was the day I blamed myself for it all. I couldn't do anything to save her and now when I was going to, she slipped out of my hands.

"What do you mean, Scarlett? Nothing that happened was your fault." He whispers, swiping his thumb across my trembling lips. I had to tell him now—it was right, at least in this moment, to tell him what really happened with my mother.

"I was a young girl, Elijah. I was a child and I let my mother go through shit, but I was old enough to still save her from him. A monster," My voice almost quietens, shaking as I start to speak the truth, "He wasn't my father once in my entire life and neverwill be." I continue speaking, feeling Elijah taking my fidgeting hands in an instant.

"I always thought that my parents had the best marriage. A love marriage, as they say but it never was in my eyes. It never was in my mother's eyes," Everything about them was a false hope, a false dream because what my father did was the cruellest thing, I've seen my whole life."

"What did he do?"

"Abused her in the worst way possible," It hurt uttering that out, like every bone in me crushed into pieces, rattling my heart like it's about to explode if I utter out another word, "and he made me watched every single movement."