𝟏𝟒

I hate this

I hate this. I hate all of this. We weren't supposed to do this—we weren't supposed to be this close to each other, kissing, touching, flirting and yet here we are doing the exact opposite of it. I can't think anymore, he's only on my mind—the way he speaks to me, the way he kisses as if I'm something fragile.

If someone found out about us, if Jocelyn finds out about this then I'm done for. This was all risk-taking, it was dangerous and no matter how far I distance myself from Elijah, something pulls me back to him.

"How is Elijah Miller's case going, Scarlett?" Being sidetracked by thinking of him, Jocelyn walks into my office questioning him as if she knew I was thinking of him.

"It's going fine. What I've seen in the home visits is nothing compared to what we got. Mr Miller has a special relationship with his daughter, nothing that the Stanleys have mentioned in the file." Showing her my notes, I watch her eyes scan the papers, so meticulous as she reads what's written.

Listening to her hum, I was waiting for what she'd say about it. She looks up at me, handing the papers back, "He's a mafia leader, how do we know if he's not faking it?" She says and for some reason, I felt a prick in my heart after hearing her talk foul about Elijah.

"But why would he? That's his daughter." It was my right to protect Elijah like this, I mean, after all, he is my client. "What I saw as a lawyer is that the relationship between the father and daughter is a firm relationship but in the eyes of a normal person visiting them, their relationship is nothing but love and comfort."

It felt good telling Jocelyn that. The look on her face—a confusing look, assured her that I was doing the right thing so far. The Stanleys are lying about this, they want Elijah not to exist, and they want him to be caught but from what I've seen so far, there's nothing but good in him.

I don't know what he does in the mafia but it's so secretive that only the inside world knows about it. But nevertheless, the Stanleys are just as dangerous and secretive. They somehow found me, threatened me, and almost killed me.

"Winning this case for Elijah is going to be tough but I know you have a way to win it, Scarlett. You're doing a good job so far." She says with a small smile and it was like a relief that she praised me for my work. "I'll check up on you soon, take care of yourself." She hums, leaving my office.

Sighing, I look back at my files about Elijah, now trying to figure out what he's hiding in the mafia and what he exactly does. And god forbid, whatever I find—it's either going to terrify me or it's going to help with this case.

This is all a game, it's lies and manipulation and through this fight for winning Dalia's custody for Elijah, it's going to continue like this till the end. One of us is going to hurt and right now it feels as if I'm the one.

Aurelia walks into my office, two cups of coffee in her hand and a comforting smile that always seems to calm me down. "You know me so well, don't you." Chuckling at her, she hands me the cup of coffee, sitting against the desk.