Chapter 20: Surprise, Surprise

*Jenan*

   And there he was, looking down at me in silence. His appearance caught me off guard, my heart skipped a beat and my mind was blank. What have I just asked Liam? I couldn't tell it anymore. And honestly, it didn't matter.
   The only thing that mattered was the arrival of the boys. No more awkward situations with Harry or even Eleanor and Emily. It seems after spending over one month with 5 boys, I forgot how to act around girls. Much to El's and Em's amusement.
   However, I was more than glad that the boys were finally back. Everything will return to normal and maybe I will be able to lock away my disappointment about what happened with Harry and continue our friendship as it was. I will stand up every morning, struggle with the mission of raising the boys out of their sleep, prepare breakfast with Niall, farewell them if they have work, read loads of chapters in my books, draw a lot, chat with my friends, choose a fancy meal to cook, mess around the kitchen (probably with the help of Zayn), play some chords with Liam on his piano, watch the evening news with the boys, laugh and just have a little fun.
   All these things crossed my mind as I stared into Zayn's eyes.
   "Hey." Zayn said in a husky voice. Although he almost whispered, for me his word seemed to echo through the whole room. How long have we been standing there in silence, just staring at each other? I could feel my cheeks becoming warm.
   "Hey." I replied to him, eying his features. It felt as if I haven't seen him for ages. "How's America?"
   Zayn smiled and looked at the ground for two seconds, then his gaze met mine again. "It was alright." Does the appearance of people change when they go to America? Cos I didn't know Zayn looked that stunning, even with his three-day stubble, the tattoos and the earring..
   "How long are you two gonna stay like this?" Harry's voice ran through my veins and I winced. He broke the magic of the moment.
   A movement began to spread among all of us. Niall blinked a few times, scratched his head and then entered the kitchen. Louis grabbed two luggages from the ground and started climbing up the stairs. Harry stood up and stretched his body. Only Liam didn't move, instead he was staring at Zayn and me in a strange way.
   Zayn himself closed the door behind him and locked it with his key.
   "Jenna! What's that?!" I heard Niall exclaiming behind me. I turned around and gave him a quizzical look.
   He was standing in front of the opened fridge. Well.. the empty fridge, to be exact. I threw a short look at Zayn, which he replied and then gave Niall another look, this time an apologetic one. "Sorry, we couldn't manage to go to the supermarket, Nialler."
   Niall closed the fridge and seemed frustrated.
   "That's okay." Liam said and took hold of his luggage. "We can order pizza."

   **

   "I want to get a job." I blurted out and caused the boys to freeze. They stared at me as if I had just told them that I wanted to run for president in the US this year.
   "Nice one." Niall muttered and continued eating his slice of pizza. Louis shrugged and continued drinking from his glass. Only Liam, Harry and Zayn didn't resume their actions.
   "Are you serious?" Liam asked.
   I nodded powerfully and laid my knife and fork down. "Yes."
   "Why?" Zayn asked with wide eyes. Today, instead of sitting in front of me, he was sitting beside me, which was Harry's usual place. I was glad I could avoid being around the latter. "Is it because of the money? Really, Jenan, you don't have to worry about that.."
   "Zayn." I tried to interrupt him.
   "You are never a financial burden or something like that, we earn enough money for all of us, including you.."
   "Zayyyn."
   "And you even help us with the housework, you cook, wash the dishes and always support us, besides that—"
   "ZAYN!" I yelled and gave him a stern look. The boys snickered quietly but didn't comment.
   "What?" he exclaimed.
   Sighing deeply, I replied: "Zayn, what you say is not the point. I don't wanna have a job to earn money, but to have something to do." This was only half of the truth. In fact, I was really running out of money and wherever my mother was, I didn't think she would be able to send me dibs. But I really wanted to have something to do, something beside cooking, drawing, reading, housekeeping.. . Something new and interesting. Something I had time and opportunity to do here. Something meaningful. "So I need a job."
   "Jenna.." Zayn started but I quickly interrupted him for the felt 100th time.
   "Period."
   He looked at me and sighed.
   "So you want us to help you find a job?" Liam inquired. I turned to him, happy about the fact that someone seemed to care.
   "Ya, that would be great!"
   "Hmm.." Zayn muttered and looked at Liam. "I think I've got an idea.."