Chapter 37: Heart Attack

*Jenan*

   "Hey, Jen."

   'Hey Jen' clearly didn't fit the situation. It would only come to his mind to say something as stupid as that after a seperation of over 6 months. But, on the other side, what options did he have? What else could he say?

   "Hello, Zayn." Surprisingly, my voice didn't come out broken or in whispers. I knew the situation rather demanded a What the hell are you doing here in my flat in Egypt?! but whatever. Zayn Malik, the boy I was totally in love with, was standing in front of me. For that moment, I didn't care about hows and whys.

   "How are you?" he asked next and looked at me closely. And that was when I remembered my state. But how do you expect my appearance to be after walking 7 kilometres in the burning sun? I was a mess. Whereas Zayn looked good and fresh as ever. Nothing reminded of the picture Harry showed me months ago.

  "I can't complain." I shrugged my shoulders and shyly took hold of my arm. "What about you?" and that was when I ran the rule over him. He looked.. different. I don't know how or in what way, but he definitely had something unfamiliar.

   "I'm better than ever." A smile lit up his clear features.

   "You got over me?" the words slipped out of my mouth before I could take them back. I bit my lip and shook my head. "Forget that, sorry."

   Zayn shook his head too and took a step towards me. My eyes fell on his chest and the shirt he was wearing. I recognised it as the one I had once chosen for him once we went out shopping.

   "If I was over you, would I be standing here right now?" he asked and looked down at me. It had been a long time since I had to almost break my neck, trying to catch his beautiful eyes.

   His words made my heart clench and flutter and clench again. "Good point." I mumbled, trying to kill the electricity loaded atmosphere around us. "So, why are you here?"

   His expression changed. I could only read it as excitement and worry.

   What was going on?

   "Well." He said and stopped. The situation was getting more awkward and we just kept staring at each other while the seconds passed. I used that time to figure out what was different about him.

   "What?" I finally whispered.

   Zayn seemed to blush, broke eye-contact and turned his face to the side. And that was when I noticed something: he wasn't wearing any of his earrings. His hair was not a bit messy and the blond in his quiff was gone. His tattoos were covered by fabric and his face was completely shaved. There was something else, a strange and new thing about his aura. Clean, happy and pure.

   If that all made any sense.

   "When you were visiting England, I was somewhere else." He said and looked at me again.

   I nodded about the known info. "You were avoiding me."

   "Yah, well.." I saw his hand reaching to his neck and scratching it. "Actually, I was in Egypt."

   IN EGYPT? A voice inside of me screamed but I couldn't get a tone out and just stared at him wide-eyed.

   "W..?" why? Why? Why?  

   The black-haired boy in front of me took a deep breath. The thoughts  flew around my mind like crazy, trying to guess a reason for his coming to my country.

   "I wanted to see your father.." his words came out of his mouth hesitantly. As if I could go off at any moment, like a Hydrogen bomb.

   "What?!" I freaked out and dropped my mouth open, my heartbeat increasing. Why would he want to see my father?

   Don't be silly, Jenan. You know why. There can be only one reason..

   Quickly, I brushed these thoughts away and concentrated on Zayn.

   "Jenna." He said. "When you left I fell into a hole and stayed there for a while. I really tried to accept the fact that you and me are not meant to be but it was difficult. I didn't even know what was holding you back and tried to fall out of love. And then, one day.." he paused. "One day I looked into the mirror and something in me.. moved. I know it sounds cheesy and creepy, but that moment I realised I had done wrong. I knew I had to change. Not for you or for anyone, only for me. And even if that won't get you back, I'm glad I did it."

   He took a deep breath before he continued. "I changed. Maybe you feel it, maybe you don't, but I'm not behaving like the old Zayn. I'm still me, but more a better version of my old self." 

   "I know we're too young and it's still early to say.." he then added with new courage while I could do nothing but stare at him in awe. "but I hope you're the one."

   Again, my heart made those strange things like slowling down and accelerating again. My eyes started to become wet and my mind screamed:               I HOPE THAT TOO!

   From the corner of my eyes, I could see his hand moving to his pocket. He took something out which looked like a dark red velvet cloth. He placed it onto the palm of his left hand and with his right hand he took the upper tip of the cloth.

   Were those sweat drops on his forehead? Was that a heart attack going to occur in my chest?

   "Jenan Tareq Farouk Mohamed Qenawy." Zayn's voice seemed to fill the room. He looked up at me and slowly revieled what was under the cloth, saying: "I don't want to be a wrong boyfriend. I want to be your right husband."

   "Will you marry me?"

_____________________

:D what's on your mind?