Chapter 28: Accepted And Rejected

*Jenan*

   "So what are you gonna do now?" I held the phone close to my ear, listening to Emily's question.
   "Stay at home, of course." I replied. I know, I know. Walking out of the building with thoughts like hey, you can stuff it! It's my decision! and now I'm like I'm doing whatever management wants. Yeah, I'm a coward.
   "Jenan." Emily said impatiently. I gave the ward sister a quick nod and stepped out of the hospital. The black van was already waiting for me, in the far corner of the parking area. "You know that the boys won't accept a no as an answer. And for an unknown reason management wants you to be there too. Only not with Zayn."
   "But why? Is it not a good hearing in society when you go out with a muslim girl?" I sounded bitter and I knew it was unfair to even say that.
   "Jenna." Emily said softly. "We're not racists." I sighed and had almost reached the van when I heard the sound of a camera taking photos. My first reaction was to frustratedly glare at the paparazzi but then I changed my mind. I wasn't a mean person by nature, so why show the world a side of me which doesn't even exist?
   I turned my face to the right, seeing the pap under a tree a few metres away. And, I don't know why, but him taking photos of me (me!) made me just laugh.
   So I did laugh. Right into the camera, yes.
   "Why are you silent?" Em asked. I had turned away from the pap, reached the van and opened the door. After getting in and putting the seat belt on, Paul gave me a short nod and drove off.
   "Just getting into the van." I replied hastily. "But I still don't know what I should do."
   "Forget about what you should do." Was her answer. "Better ask yourself what you want to do."
   What did I want to do? Good question.
   "What does your heart say?" Em added in a low voice.
   My heart? It was silent, not willing to talk to me. "Nothing, apparently."
   "You are a lost cause." Em sighed. I looked out of the window, being annoyed that they were tinted. It was strange and odd. "Let's play a game."
   Huh? Play a game? "Are you serious?" I asked suspiciously, rubbing my knees. What was she up to?
   "Yes. I ask a short question and you answer either with one of the two options. And it must be quick, no long thinking!"
   "This is weird." I just muttered but Emily took it as a yes.
   "Strawberry or chocolate?"
   "Uh, chocolate."
   "Quicklier!" she shooed me. "Egypt or Great Britain?"
   "Egypt."
   "Cat or dog?"
   "Cat."
   "Biology or Physics?"
   "Physics."
   "Movies or books?"
   "Books."
   "Harry or Zayn?"
   "Zay— what?"
   "Ha!" she exclaimed. "Gotcha!"
   Terrific!

**

   After a lot of hither and thither back in the van, I made a decision. It had been very clear for me that I could never accept Harry's invitation to join him at the awards. I know that best friends were supposed to do that, but after his 'love-confession' I was trying to be more cautious around him. Besides that Emily gave me a fair warning that I might 'hurt Zayn's feelings by rejecting him and accepting Harry'. Whatever that means.
   But in any way, I won't allow myself to be pushed aside by management.   
  I had forgotten my keys, that's why I had to ring the bell. Predicting all of the boys being at home, I waited patiently till Liam opened the door.
   "Hey, Jenna." He greeted me with his warm Liam-smile. "How was your day?"
   "It was good." I smiled back, entering the flat. "Till now." I added in a low voice after seeing Zayn and Harry on the couch looking at me in a strange way. As if they were planning to do something meaningful.
   Liam gave me a look as if he wanted to say Take care. I nodded and approached my two best friends. "Hey."
   "Hi." Harry smiled, showing off his dimples and waving at me. Zayn, on the other hand, was silent. He just stood up and shot me a shy smile.
   "Come with me?" he whispered, seeming not to want Harry to notice. But after throwing a short look at him, I saw him having a thoughtful expression on his face. I quickly nodded to Zayn and turned around to the stairs. At first I was expecting Harry to call after me (trying to be the first one to ask me about the awards) but nothing happened. My decision of accepting Zayn's coming invitation was certain and I didn't think that it would be a big deal to easily say: "Going to the VMAs with you? Alrighty, why not?"  but now I was anxious, feeling my hands to start becoming slippery.
   "Your room or mine?" I asked, feeling the need to show him that I would accept it if he wanted to enter my room. But soon he answered me with: "Mine."
   As the gentleman he is, he opened the door for me and closed it behind him. I took a deep breath, inhaling Zayn's special scent which wandered around the room. My head started spinning and I heard Zayn clearing his throat.
   "I'm not sure if you know," he started slowly, sat down on the bed and pointed at the spot beside him. I took the seat and laid my hands on my lap. "but we're nominated for three VMAs."
   I smiled with a slight feeling of proudness and love inside of me. "I know, Zayn. Congratulations."
   "Thanks," he laughed and looked down. When he looked up at me again, he was silent for a few moments. So we were basically sitting there on his bed, staring at each other. His eyes, his face.. he filled my sight and I couldn't wait till he asked the question. "Do.." he hesitated and broke eye-contact. "Do you want to come to the awards in LA as my company?"He looked at me again, hopefully. YES! My mind screamed. YES ZAYN, I TOTALLY WANT TO!
   "Oh, okay." Was the thing I lastly said and I immediately felt like slapping myself. Lame, lame, lame.
   "Really?" he asked me with a surprised look on his face. Obviously, he hadn't expected me to agree.
   I nodded in agreement and gave him an honest smile, saying: "Sure."
   Zayn's face expression immediately changed. A strange sparkle appeared in his eyes and he had a satisfied smile on his lips. His hands moved to his pocket and took his iPhone out. Keeping his eyes glued on me, he dialled a number and held the phone to his ear.
   "Lou?" he asked. "You have time?"