Chapter 2: The Fifth Floor

*Jenan*

     I'm really not the type of person who's comfortable around strangers, or is able to make new friends easily. Normally when I meet someone for the first time (specially when she's a girl of my age) I sit there in awkward silence and never know what to say. Sometimes I think I can't deal with people of my age generally. But with Emily everything was easy. Talking, laughing, wasting time..

   With her sitting next to me, the time on board passed like minutes, not hours. We exchanged numbers and e-mail addresses, then our ways parted after fetching our missing luggage.

   Outside the airport, I wasted nearly 5 minutes just staring around. Aha,  I thought. So this is London, Jenan. Even the whole atmosphere of England was different from what I've known. Besides that it was bloody cold.

   In spite of that, my hands became sweaty. You can do it!, I told myself. You can walk over to one of those taxis, get in and read out loud the address from the paper.

   The paper!

   I opened my handbag and pulled out a bunch of small papers and post-its. Emergency numbers, emergency numbers, school stuff... where was that paper with the address?!

   After skimming through all of them I found the one I needed. 91 Peterborough Road, London, SW6 3BU

   With my suitcase in one hand, and the paper in the other, I walked over to the bunch of taxis. I opened the door of the nearest one to me and got in. The driver was a man around 50 with a long moustache. He looked at me from the mirror, so I quickly read the address to him.

   Don't worry, Jenan. He won't kidnap you.

   I felt as if the drive lasted like.. ages. And I was ways too nervous to look out of the window and admire London. My heartbeat was unstable and I felt hot although I knew the weather was like in Winter. I had already thought we would probably never arrive when finally, the taxi stopped. I paid the money and got out as quickly as possible. It took me some time and effort to get the suitcase, but as soon as I closed the door, the taxi *WUSH* disappeared.

   I felt like insulting him, but I held onto myself.

   Now I had time to see where I was grounded. I was standing right infront of a huge building, like a skyscraper. Was I wrong? Did the taxi driver misunderstand me?

   Actually, I was supposed to meet the friend of my mother's friend. Here?

   What was his name? Ah yes, Simon C.

   I couldn't change the situation. People around started to stare at me, so I rushed into the building.

   I felt the cool breeze of the air-conditioning hit my face as I entered a wide room and wondered why it was turned on in the first place. Wasn't it cold enough outside? As soon as I spotted the reception, I headed over there. A young woman with short brown hair was sitting behind it. She looked up, seeming very bored. "Yeees?"

   "Uh," I blushed and laid my hands on the counter. "I want to see Simon C."

   "Have an appoiintmeent?" she looked as if she was watching a parliamentary session. And why the hell does she extend her vowels like that?

   "Well.. he knows I am coming?" it sounded insecure and more like a question.

  The woman sighed. "Waiiit." She said and grabbed the phone. "Heere is a giiirl, she wants to see Siiimon... Aha.. ookay thaaanks."

   She turned to me. "Siiimon had an uuurgent meeting so he wooon't be able to receive aany guests noow. But you shall waiit for the booys in his oooffice."

   I swallowed. "Where.. where is his office?"

   "Fifth floooor, room number fouur." Then she looked down on the papers on her desk and pretended I was invisible.

   Okay. 5th floor. That's easy, over there I spotted a lift. I pulled my suitcase behind me and waited for the lift to come down. My shoulder started to hurt from the heavy bag. The doors of the lift opened and I was relieved when I found it empty. I didn't want to leave my luggage alone downstairs, so I took it with me. When I finally arrived at the 5th floor, the doors opened into a wide corridor. The doors were numbered, so I searched for number 4. There it was.

   Okay. Now.. bump in or knock? Definitely knock.

   I did. But no response. Did the woman say that the boys will wait for me in the office, or should I wait for them in there?? Seems it's the second choice, so I entered.

   It was a large office. Green indoor plants decorated it. I spotted a long couch so I almost ran over to it and sat down. Ahhh. My shoulders still hurt and my hands were numb. I just wanted to get rid of all of my luggage and relax for a while....

   I winced when I heard voices in the corridor. My heart jumped a bit faster, my hands became sweaty like before.. they will come in and see me sitting here on the couch like an idiot!

   Hastily I grabbed my handbag, pulled out my mobile and turned it on. Quickly, quickly, please!

   Finally it was on. The voices came nearer and nearer.

   Oh my God, what shall I do?!

   Just make yourself look busy with your mobile. I told myself. When they open the door, don't look up. When they enter, give them a short look and greet them back. Then everything will work. Hopefully.