Chapter 6: Chatting, Cooking, Commmunicating

*Jenan*

The song which was playing on the stereo now wasn't fitting the situation at all. Dramatic piano music would fit better than an upbeat pop song. Of course I knew my life wasn't a movie with the suitable soundtrack, but the happiness of the song annoyed me. I was ashamed of myself for messing up with the only person who had been nice to me so far and I knew I had to fix things as soon as possible, so I hurried upstairs taking every two steps at once. Kind of exhausted, I reached Zayn's door and kept staring at it, not knowing what to do. Maybe I should start with knocking, like a normal person.

I did. Knock knock.

I waited. 1 second, 2 seconds, 3 seconds, 4 seconds..

Nothing.

"Zayn?" my voice was low, and a little bit shaky. The guilt was killing me, eating me from inside, and I noticed that it was the first time for me to say his name. Out loud. "Zayn." I repeated, and tasted the word on my tongue as if it was a piece of chocolate.

Arrgh, no time for thinking like a freak now, Jenan!, I trounced myself.

Concentrate.I inhaled deeply and started talking to the door. "I'm so sorry, Zayn, really. I didn't mean to- "

The door opened suddenly and made me stop mid-sentence. Zayn was standing in front of me, with messy hair, as if he had been running through it with his fingers a lot of times. I could literally picture him in my mind, how he stormed into his room and sat down onto his bed. How he hid his face in the palms of his hands and then went through his black, thick hair. How my words went through his mind like a curse. How hurtful they were..

"It's okay. Let's forget it and finish our work." I heard Zayn muttering. I looked up at him with surprise all written all over my face. What?

I didn't have a chance to say that we already finished (beside that lonely knife in the sink) because he rushed downstairs, leaving me standing in front of his (now again closed) room. Confusion switched places with the initial surprise and I followed him downstairs, expecting him to be standing in the kitchen to - as he said - complete what we've been doing, but instead I found him sitting on the couch.

Hesitantly, I approached the couch and slowly sat down at the other end of it, my heart racing. Sharing a couch with a boy was something new to me. Wow, that just sounded really weird, even in my own ears. I'm a weirdo.

.. something's gotta give now, cos I'm dying just to make you see, that I need you here with me now cos you've got that one thing..

"But that isn't The Wanted, is it?" I asked, the song catching my attention and distracting me from my own weirdness.

Zayn looked at me and gave a laugh. "No, it's not."

I nodded slowly. "They sound different. And younger.. I like that song!" did I like that song? I think yes. The voices of the singers were nice and unique. I tried to figure out how many they were. Maybe 4 or 5.

Zayn smiled widely. "This is One Direction. Heard of them before?"

I didn't need to think for a second and shook my head. "Nope." I grinned widely, realising that this was the evidence of what he'd heard about me, I really didn't know about the famous people out there. He let me listen to the song till it ended and another one began. The singer was a woman this time.

Hey hey, you you, I don't like your girlfriend, no way no way, I think you need a new one, hey hey, you you, I could be your girlfriend..

I don't know why but I had to chuckle when I heard the lyrics to that song. But the song itself wasn't really my thing.