Chapter 34: Airplanes

*Liam*

   I don't know how or when it started, but something happened with Zayn. He didn't miss a single appointment with Simon or us at the studio. He started writing a few lines of our songs again and he stopped singing as if it was something he hated. Every Friday from 12 to 2 PM he disappeared and wouldn't let us know where he went. Louis suggested that we should follow him to know what he was doing but I was against this idea. I was more than glad that he apparently stopped clubbing and meeting girls. It has been a long time since I saw him drunk and that made me sigh with relief. I don't know what caused the change and I didn't think that he got over Jenan. Sometimes I even thought that he hadn't given up on their love..
   It's been over two months since she left our flat. Till now I could feel her absence and I missed her a lot. Everyone of us missed her but Zayn was the one suffering.
   "You know what's another thing that has changed?" Niall asked me and put the control of our Xbox down. "He stopped wearing his earrings."
   I thought about it for a while. And I noticed that he was right.
   Why was that? What was going on with Zayn?

   "Wanna talk?" I asked Zayn with caution as I took the salt shaker. It was only Zayn and me today, the rest of the lads were out at Nando's with a few other people like Eleanor, Amy and Emily.
   "About what?" he asked innocently and moved his fork into the direction of his mouth.
   I took a deep breath and said: "Jenan."
   That made him stop in the middle of his action. He stared at the fork for a while and then continued eating. "There's not much to talk about." He shrugged his shoulders. "I love her, Harry says she loves me too but she doesn't want to be with me."
   That was nothing new and Zayn knew that. He was hiding something. "So what are you going to do? Forget about her and move on?"
   Zayn sighed, laid the fork down and looked at me. I stopped eating too, waiting for his answer. "At first, I spent my time on trying to forget her by, umm.. you know what I did." A slight feeling of surprise appeared in me as I saw Zayn gently blushing. I quickly nodded to show him I knew. "But then I realised something very important. I don't know if it could change Jenan's mind, but in any way I am doing it for me. And it feels good." Was he talking in riddles? I didn't understand what he was talking about.
   He must have felt my confusion as he carried on talking: "I'm trying to fix a few things which are going wrong in my life. That's all."
   He took his fork and completed eating while I just stared at him for a while. Obviously he was trying to turn his life upside down and change himself. That's why he wasn't going clubbing anymore. Why he doesn't wear his earrings. And maybe his absence on Friday afternoons had to do something with it all..
   "Wow." Was all I brought out, feeling impressed.
   A wide smile appeared on my face as I realised that maybe the old happy Zayn is on his way back, and even in a better state than before..

**

*Jenan*

   "So what's your plan for Thursday?" Kassat leaned over to me and talked with a low voice. Mr. Hassan, our Trigonometry teacher, was absent and that was why Ms Fayza was sitting on the chair in front of the black board. Kassat didn't want to raise her voice, avoiding Ms Fayza's anger. She seemed very bad tempered at the moment.
   "Thursday?" I asked and closed my Trig book, knowing Kassat wouldn't let me study a single word. "What's on Thursday?"
   The look my best friend gave me was priceless. As if I was some kind of yellow bat. "It's your birthdaaaay, doofus!"
   Oh, yes. My 18th birthday, in exactly one week. I haven't wasted a single thought on it.
   "I'll likely stay at home and eat a cake with my father, that's all." Even in my own ears I sounded like a depressed teenage girl.
   Kas leaned back, rolled her eyes and took her nail file out of her bag. "What did they do to you there in England?"
   I sighed deeply and opened my book again, thinking: they made me fall in love.

"Stop being so boring and get out a little!" she continued. "Since the beginning of the school year you haven't left the house."
   Actually, I haven't left the house since I met Harry at the club, but she didn't have to know that.
   "Yeah, or at least invite us!" now Leesha (as usual) barged in and poked me. I smiled weakly and nodded, saying: "Alright. See you all on Thursday in my room, then."

**

   He had that special talent to suddenly arrive on the scene. I was just about to go to sleep when his name appeared on the screen of my cell phone. Why now? I asked myself and took the device in my hand, unsure about what I should do. I deadly wanted to pick up and hear his voice, make sure he's okay and I didn't hurt him too much. Another part of me knew that I would be very close to a break down if I pressed the green button.
   I couldn't resist. I picked up.
   "Za—" the rest of the word lost itself in the atmosphere around me.
   "Jenna, hey." Zayn's voice was soft and calm and a little husky. As if he was about to cry.
   My throat became tighter and I hardly swallowed. "Zayn." Second trial, completed successfully.
   "Happy birthday, babe." Was the second thing he said to me and that was when tears started forming.
   "Thanks." My voice was just whispers. He didn't forget! He remembered my birthday! "You remembered."
   "How could I forget the 18th birthday of my best friend?" I could hear a smile in his words and in the middle of my hot tears, I couldn't prevent myself from smiling as well. That boy was thousands of miles away and still could affect me easily. "But your birthday is not the only reason I called."
   That got me worried. If he asked me one more time if I loved him back or if I would agree to be with him, there was a big chance that I would give in. Although I still knew that a  'relationship' was impossible.
   "I noticed that you banned us out of your life, and I don't like that." He started. "The lads and I, we miss you. As our best friend and little sister."
   He paused. I wanted to raise my voice and speak but he apparently hasn't finished: "Please don't push us out of your life. We want to remain your friends."
   I thought about what he said for a long time. And I realised that I wanted the same. The boys have become my best friends and they were like the brothers I never had. I missed them badly and maybe I could return back to my happy self if I let them into my life again. "Alright." I lastly mumbled. "I'll try to keep in touch with all of you. I miss you."
   "Jenna?" the way he spoke showed me he changed the topic.
   "Yes"
    "Tell me you love me. Only for tonight. Even though you don't love me..." airplanes in my stomach, Zayn on my mind.
   "Zayn, I.."
   "I'm sorry, just forget it." he mumbled and suddenly started talking about something completely different.
    And then, we had a long phone call. I was lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling and having a wonderful talk with Zayn. It felt as if he was with me here.
   "And Zayn?"
   "Hm?"
   "I love you."