Chapter 8: London Lane

*Jenan*

   London Lane was a small and cosy restaurant, far away from the lads' flat. With the cab, it took me 20 minutes to arrive there. I thanked the driver and got out of the car, heading towards the door. Inside, I spotted Emily sitting at a table for two by the window. She saw me too and waved.
  "Hey." She smiled as I reached her.
  "Hey Emily." I replied, pulling the chair in front of her backwards to sit down. The tablecloth was checkered, and there was a simple vase in the middle of the table with a beautiful flower.
The waiter came and gave me the menu (as Emily already had one). "Am I late?" I asked her after the waiter disappeared.
   She chuckled. "It's okay."
   I sighed, opened the menu and said "Sorry. One of the boys made a fuss."
   "Why that?" she turned the page of her menu. In the plane I had told her about the fact I was going to live with 5 strangers and I even told her about the reason behind that.
   "He wanted to drive me."
   She looked up and raised one of her eyebrows. "But that's what I would call 'nice and considerate' . Not 'a fuss'." She grinned.
   "I already have a mother in don't-know-where, and I definitely don't need another one here in England."
   Now she sighed. "Sweetie, where's the problem with him driving you?"
   I shrugged and avoided her gaze. I didn't even know it myself. "Maybe it's because I don't know him."
   "Maybe." She sounded unconvinced. I couldn't blame her.
   "So," I said, trying to change the topic. "What will you order?"
   She snapped the menu shut. "I'll take a pizza with mushrooms aaand.. the tomato-mozzarella salad. You?"
   I looked back down at the menu. "Hmm.. I think I'll take the Club Sandwich with the greek salad and a coke."
   She smiled to the waiter who came running to us. After ordering, he took the menus and left.
   "Soooo," she started slowly, playing with her hair. "How's London so far?"
   I grinned. "I don't know, I haven't seen much of it till now. I arrived here yesterday, you know."
   She smiled widely. "Yes, I do know. But I thought the boys must have made a tour with you or something."
   "Why should they? They don't know me and it's not like they owe me anything."
   She raised one of her eyebrows. "You are beautiful girl. That is a big reason for a boy to be friendly although he doesn't know you."
   I exhaled out of my mouth and rolled my eyes. "First off, I am not beautiful. Secondly, what's that got to do with anything?" was the only answer I could reply to her. This girl had a strange way of thinking.
   She grinned widely. "I have a brother, so I would know. And to comment on what you first said: seems you've never looked into a mirror."
   "Indeed I have." I retorted with a pout. "I personally don't think I am ugly, but I also don't think I am beautiful. I'm normal.. just normal." It's hard to believe that you are beautiful when really none of the people in the TV shows and magazines look like you. You don't have to live in the West to grow up with Western beauty standards. 
   "Aha, sure." She only said and looked up at the ceiling.
   "But thanks for the compliment anyway." I tried to smile.
   She looked at me. "I bet I was not the first one to tell you this."
   "You are."
   Her eyes became wide. "Really? Then the people around you must be very jealous of your beauty."
   I rolled my eyes again.
   "By the way," she said. "Do you sing?"
   "Oh well, only sometimes in the school choir."
   "Ha! So you can sing!"
   I was confused. "I don't know, I never sing solo."
   "Ohhh, I'd love to hear you sing!" she looked at me appealingly.
   "What?" I leaned backwards. "Now? Here?"
   "Why not?"
   "What about.. uhh.. singing for you another time?" I tried to escape this terrible situation. This girl seems not to get embarrassed by anything!
   She sulked. "But.." before she could continue, she was interrupted by the waiter who was bringing us our food. In my mind I thanked him for his great timing.
   While we ate we talked about normal things and we got to know each other more. In some things she reminded me of Leesha, and that made me smile.
   After paying the bill, we decided to take a short walk before going home. We were just in a hot discussion about whether pineapples belong on pizza or not when Emily's phone rang.
   "Hey my love!" she greeted the caller. "What's up? .... aha... wow, that'd be great!... hmmm.." she threw a look at me. "Okay, I will wait for you in front of LL... ya, see ya.. love you too.. bye!"
She ended the call and locked her phone. "Sorry, it was Lucas."
   "Your brother?" I guessed.
   She grinned. "No, my boyfriend."
   "Ah." Was the only thing I could say.
   She rolled her eyes. "He's my boyfriend and not yours. So, relax." I wasn't sure if I understood what exactly she meant.
   "Do you want me to come with you back to London Lane to wait for.. Lucas?"
   "No it's okay." She hugged me. "Sorry for leaving you so early."
   "Never mind." I smiled. "See you soon!"
   "Yes, see you soon." She smiled at me, turned around and went back.
   I was glad to have someone like a friend here in England. It was a good feeling to know that. There were a lot of taxis driving up and down this road (which I even didn't know its name) so I let one of them stop. "Where are you headed?" asked the taxi driver as I got into the car.
I immediately froze. Oh my Goodness.. I didn't know the address of the flat of the boys!
The taxi driver raised his eyebrows waiting for me to reply. "Uh.. I...ummm...." quickly I opened my handbag and searched for the papers to let him drive me to the place where I met them first, but boiling hot I remembered how I had put them into the drawer of the bedside locker yesterday...
   "Miss?"
   "I.. I don't know." I croaked out. "I'm sorry, I'm new here and.. and I don't know the address and I don't know what to do now so.."
   "So you'll get out of this taxi right now." He interrupted me. I swallowed.
   "Okay." I whispered and got out of the car. It drove away quickly and left me standing there on the sidewalk. And now?!
   I was on panic! No address, no idea of the way.. nothing!
   Okay, calm down, Jenan. Freaking out now won't help you.

   So first I decided to walk a few steps to think about a solution. The only one I know his number in London was Emily so I tried to reach her but her phone was unavailable. No need to panic. No need to panic..

**

   I don't know how many hours I spent wandering around the city. None of the buildings or places around me were familiar, none of them was the one with the flat. The sun was gone and my thin clothes didn't keep me warm enough. I was thirsty and tired and Emily's number stayed unavailable. I even thought about going to a police station but firstly, I didn't spot one and secondly.. what should I tell them? I don't even know the last names of the boys!
   It was 11:03 when I sat down on a bench in a forlorn park. I had found a supermarket and bought a bottle of water and a cereal bar with the last of my money. After eating the bar, the rumors in my stomach stopped but I felt so cold and hot at the same time. The world seemed to move and then everything was black.