Chapter 35: Everything's Going Fast

*Jenan*

   I had to admit it; on the morning of my birthday, I felt very excited.
   The day started with a video call on Skype with my mother. I was still in bed when my father bumped into the room with the tablet PC and told me to look at the screen. Although I saw only a hologram of my mother, it felt as if my family was complete again.
   Other girls would have envied my mother for her cool job and the awesome places she saw and visited, but when I listened to her storied, I realised I was one of those people who would prefer to settle up at one place forever. Obviously, I wasn't adventurous.
   After the call ended, I tried hard on making my appearance not as bad as my mirror convinced me. My father waited with a big breakfast for me and I could open the first present..
   His gift was simple but I totally loved it. It was a wonderful and chic fountain pen which made my handwriting look extremely good and neat. I knew it would become my favourite pen and I would take it with me everywhere.
   "Thanks, dad."
   Two other presents were rested on the table. One of them was only an envelope and I was more curious about it than about the larger one. "Can I open the envelope now?" I asked and put the last piece of bread in my mouth.
   My father hesitated for a second but then nodded. "Alright."
   Excitedly, I jumped off my seat, grabbed the envelope and opened it with shaking hands. It was as if I had a premonition.
   There were two things inside. Firstly, I took out a birthday card which sang Happy Birthday To You! and inside were the signatures of the lads. I laughed and had difficulties in preventing myself from crying. Just as I started to wonder how that letter found its way into my flat, I took the other thing out.
   "Oh my God, a ticket!" I uttered excitedly and couldn't believe myself. In my hands I had a ticket to England for two days. From the corners of my eyes I could see my father coming over to me and taking a look over my shoulder. My excitement puffed out as I realised I would come under pressure for failing to offer an explanation to him. I was not sure how much my mother told him about the details of my stay in London. Did he know that I had shared a flat with the five boys of a famous boyband called One Direction?
   It was as if he could hear my thoughts, because he suddenly said: "Your five friends from over the sea, huh?"
   I turned to him and smiled shyly, not knowing what to say.
   "You should start packing your bag." He said and I could see laughter lines forming around his eyes. "So you can save time for your friends."
   "Aww!" I screamed and fell into my dad's arms. I couldn't believe I was going to stay in England during the weekend and see the boys again after such a long time.

   Leesha fangirled with me through the phone whilst getting ready for my small birthday party. I had invited only my best friends Kasatt, Leesha and Alia. Together we spent a total girls-day and had a lot of fun.
   During that time, I told them about One Direction, Zayn and the boys. They took it calmly and were more excited about the fact that I would fly to london in a few hours. They helped me to get ready and even insisted on accompanying me to the airport.
   "A coke please." I ordered and the air hostess filled a plastic cup with the brown liquid. I took it with a smile and leaned against the chair. Only a few hours more and I would finally see him again..

**

   "I can't believe I'm back!" I sighed with relief and got out of Paul's van. Harry by my side shot me a huge grin and started pulling my luggage out of the vehicle. Paul came over and carried it upstairs.
   "Come on, J." Harry's head flicked into the direction of the door and I followed him there. With every step, my heartbeat became quicklier and quicklier. My hands were sweaty and I felt close to hyperventilating. As the door opened in front of me, I felt as if I was in a bubble. A part of my mind wasn't even working while the other part of it counted 5 blurred faces. Blond, blond, brunette, brunette, brunette..
   Niall.
   Emily.
   Eleanor.
   Liam.
   Louis.

   Where is Zayn?!

   "Jennaaaaa!" The crowd opposite of me screamed and I saw Emily and Eleanor running towards me. They gave me a tight hug and one by one the other lads came to welcome me as well. I was working hard on supressing my feelings but all the time I was searching for Zayn.
   He was nowhere.

   "How's life without us?" my Irish-boy asked and put a huge piece of lasagna into his mouth. A sad smile appeared around my lips while I thought about the answer. I think I was doing nothing but studying all day long. Sometimes I took a day off and spent my time drawing or reading. Also, I started doubting the ways of our education. They were pouring the information into our heads with a funnel beaker, but at the end of the day.. what have I really learnt?
   I put away the thoughts about my education and started questioning my future. I only had a short time in front of me at school and I didn't have a clue about what to do with my good grades or my life. I haven't found something that suited me well and I felt helpless.
   "It's.." the word okay was lying on my tongue but I swallowed it down again. Who was I trying to fool? "Empty."
   Empty was not really the right word. I still had things which gave me a little foothold like my family and my love for my Religion.
   But I knew the boys understood.
   A silence spread over the table and everybody looked at me. And that was the moment when the question, which has been on my mind since I stepped into the flat, came out of my mouth: "Guys, where's Zayn?" and if that was even possible, the atmosphere around us became even more apprehensive.
   They all kept looking at each other in a strange way until Liam took the word: "Well.." he cleared his throat and laid his fork down. "The situation for him is not that easy.." my throat became narrow and I blinked probable tears away. "He thought the best thing would be if he stayed away while you're here."
   It felt as if someone was stabbing my back with a knife. I knew it was all my fault, but that didn't prevent me from being unhappy.
   The chair made a creepy tone as I stood up and took the steps upstairs.

**

   For the rest of the evening, I stayed in my old room. I could see (and smell) that Zayn had been here a lot of times. In my mind, I saw images of him sitting on the bed, looking out of the window and may be thinking about me.
   I had hurt him and that was something I couldn't forgive myself for.
   And the worst part was that I loved him too.
   "Can I?" I heard a faint whisper from the door. I hadn't turned the lights on so I could only see a slim figure standing over there. For a second, I was disappointed it wasn't Harry; I needed my best friend. But then I took these thoughts back and was glad it was Eleanor.
   "Yeah." My voice broke down but she heard me. Darkness filled the room again after she closed the door and for a moment I was blind.
   She didn't make any attempts to turn on the light, she only placed herself onto the spot in front of me and gave me a long-lasting hug. "The situation is so stupid." She whispered.
   I faintly grinned at her tone and buried my face into her shoulder.
   She didn't say anything for fifteen minutes (a record for her) and I was glad to have her beside me.

   "Jenna? Just be patient. I'm certain everything will work out at the end."

**

*Zayn*

I was more anxious than ever. My hands wouldn't stay still and every second I checked whether my tux was adjusted.
  I felt like giving up and running away, searching for a loo, but I knew I had to pull myself together. I just had this single chance..

_________________________

What do you think Zayn is up to? :D x