Chapter 29: Fans, Awards.. Another thing, kid?

A/N: here is a new chapter and I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the votes and all of your lovely comments :) I appreciate them a lot.

   *Zayn*

   Since that incident with the fans at the zoo, Jenan hadn't said a word to me. She even didn't give me a chance to; instead she spent most of her time with Harry. I didn't know how to deal with the whole situation: being aware of my feelings for her, being jealous when she spends more time with Harry than with me, she being upset about the fans, and knowing it ruined the day.. to name only a few.
   "Give her time." Liam's soothing voice was like balm for my soul. As usual, I had seeked his advice.
   "For what exactly?" I asked and pulled my sleeves down. I don't know why but I couldn't bear to look at my tattooed arm at the moment.
   "She isn't used to the fans and the fame." He replied. "And I think the big bang is still ahead of us, at the VMAs." For the moment, I wasn't really looking forward to that day anymore. "And now do something instead of sitting here, being in pouts." Liam gave me a warm smile and I nodded. He was right.

   So I gave her time. A lot.
   A solid hour, actually.
   And then I couldn't bear it anymore and went to knock on Harry's door, for I knew she was inside. "Come in!" I heard Harry calling so I bumped into the room. She had her arms wrapped around one of the pillows, sitting on the black beanbag chair in the room. Harry was lying on his stomach with his iPhone in his hand. Immediately I felt like a harasser. "Umm, hey." Was all I could say.
   For a moment, Jenan looked at me with a serious expression but suddenly a smile lit up her face. "Hey, Zayn." Will I ever get used to the feeling I get when she says my name in her Egyptian accent?
   "I think we need to talk." my voice came out shakily. She exchanged looks with Harry and finally put the pillow aside and stood up, following me into my room. As soon as I closed the door behind me, I turned to her and heard her saying: "I'm so sorry, Zaynster."
   What? Were my ears working properly? Before I could ask, she continued: "This was all my fault, and I hope you won't hold it against me or your fans." She sat down onto my bed. "They just love you so much that the line between being a fan and being a girlfriend starts to blur."
   My mind was working hard, trying to make the recent events compatible with her words. Slowly, I walked over to the bed and sat down beside her. "What are you even saying?" I asked in awe.
   Three fine lines appeared on her forehead and she scratched the palm of her hand. "Uh, I just, I don't know.." she trailed off and I took the word: "Jen, are you seriously apologising to me? I should be the one asking for forgiveness!"
   "You didn't do anything wrong." She shook her head.
   "Neither did you!" I exclaimed, throwing both of my hands upwards.
   She avoided my gaze and looked around the room. After a moment of silence she whispered: "My existance here causes you trouble." My heart stopped in shock and when she looked at me again, I could see a dodgy glance in her eyes and my heart just started beating faster. I hardly bit on my lip, preventing myself from drawing her into my arms, and said: "This doesn't even make sense."
   "It does!" she burst out and stood up, walking up and down infront of me. Suddenly she stopped and turned around: "Do you think I don't know about the hate you get only because you're hanging out with me?! Do you think I don't see how I only seem to cause trouble in your lives since I found out that you're in One Direction? Do you think it doesn't hurt me?" at the last sentence, her voice broke down and she took off her glasses, hiding her face behind her hand. She said the following in a quoting voice: " 'Oh my God, Zayn! What are you doing?!' 'Send her the boot, she's terrible!' 'Zayn, she's not worth it!' 'Send that little baby packing!' .. should I continue?!"
   I quickly shook my head, still a little bit astonished how she exactly quoted the tweets I saw after our boat trip. "Forget about those useless comments, J." I tried to rescue the situation. How could she take everything on herself? She should be angry with me for being the reason of the hate, but instead she is worrying about me and my feelings! You will never deserve a girl like her, a little voice in my head said and I hushed it away. "You just yourself said the lines blur!"
   Jenan's face appeared again and she nodded slowly. "I know that. But I can only imagine how hard it is for you. Throughout the months and years and.."
   "Enough!" I interrupted her and rose from the bed. I approached her as near as she let me and put every power into the look I gave her. "They don't matter. They can say what they want but they can never change the fact that I lo—, uh, that I consider you one of the most important people in my life." I finished, feeling a little bit breathless and watched something happening for the first time. Jenan's cheeks turned red!
   She literally blushed and looked away, muttering: "Thank you, Zayn."