Chapter 4: Empty Shelves

*Jenan*  

   My heart was still beating fast as I stepped out of the office. I had acted all cold and arrogant, although they (coldness and arrogance) were never really a part of my personality. What was wrong with me?

    The other boys had already entered the lift at the end of the corridor and I didn't find any space for me and my suitcase. Or the boy who was standing behind me. I swallowed hardly. Zayn.

   When I looked up the first time and caught his eye, something happened. I don't know what it was but it bugs me. I hate it when people have any effects on me, and this Zayn-boy definitely had one. He had that catching aura around him where you can't decide whether he was someone to trust or someone to stay the hell away from. He seemed mysterious and there was just something about him. Standing there in front of the lift, I decided to avoid him. He was rather one not to be trusted and I didn't want to find out by experience.

   The doors of the lift closed and we waited. I was really nervous, and couldn't stop tapping with my foot on the ground and throwing a look on my watch every 5 seconds. Now I know why I always prefer taking the stairs.

   I could hear the boy behind me breathing, which made me more nervous and I kept praying to Allah that the lift might come quickly. That was one of the moments where you are waiting for something impatiently. In every normal situation the speed of its occurrence is just normal and you don't even take notice of it. But when you want it to happen badly then every second passes with the speed of a turtle which has just woken up from a deep sleep. In my mind there were a lot of turtles. A few of them were still asleep while the others were slowly making their way to the shore. I mentally encouraged them to move more quickly towards the water.

   When it finally it came, I hurried inside with my suitcase and the black-haired boy followed me. I deleted every thought and image of a turtle or more from my mind, believing I was going insane. The silence in the lift was awkward. Were the walls really coming nearer?? My eyes nervously wandered around the lift and my hand reached under my scarf and opened the uppermost button of my blouse, taking care not to show off any parts of my neck.

   "Is.. everything okay with you?" he asked in a low voice.

   I looked at him but immediately turned away again. This boy didn't look British. Only the tattoos on his arms and his stunning accent showed me he actually was. Apart of that he was also very handsome. Even his voice was attractive, in a way. Playing with the straps of my bags I answered him with a week "No". I instantly felt bad for my thoughts. Who am I to decide who's from where? There was so much wrong with the thought that British = White. What was I thinking?

   "Well.." he started but I interrupted him.

   "Never mind, really. It will be okay." Maybe.

   Before he could answer me, the lift opened and I almost jumped out of it. The other boys were standing in front of the door and as they saw us, they went outside. The black haired boy and me followed them out of the building. As soon as the doors closed behind us, I saw how every single boy took some big pairs of sunglasses out of their pockets. From Leesha I knew that they were Ray Bans. Weren't these kind of glasses kinda expensive?

   The one with the curly hair turned to me and interrupted my reasoning. "Our flat is only a few steps away from here. Just follow us."

   I nodded. How awkward. They looked stupid with those glasses on. The British weather today didn't ask for any.

   The curly haired one, the one with the striped T-shirt and the blond boy started walking. The friendly-looking brunette one and the one with the loads of tattoos on his arms .. Zayn.. followed them. I sighed, took my luggage and followed 2 steps behind.