Chapter 5: Home Alone.. Or What?

*Jenan*

When I woke up the next morning, it took me a few seconds to realize that I was not lying in my own bed. No strange-formed cracks in the ceiling, no bright sunlight tickling my nose. You are in England now., a voice said in my mind. I pushed the checkered blanket away, remembering the awful dream of last night, and stood up to open the curtains of the balcony. The sight out there made me smile; no sandy streets but tons of clouds. Wow.

The first thing I did was make my bed. It always bugged me to see the rumpled sheets and dented pillows. Afterwards, I turned around and waddled to the door to check out if anyone was out there. Before I could put my ears onto the door, I felt something under my right foot. A piece of paper!

Good morning, Jenan. You will be home alone till 3.00 PM, sorry. You can find everything you need in the kitchen. The flat is all yours! ;) Z.

Was written there in a neat and kind of boyish handwriting. I didn't know why, but I blushed and screwed up the paper to throw it into the bin under the desk. Although I should probably be happy about the thought of not having the boys around, it scared me to be alone. But oh well.. maybe I should get ready for the day.

In the bathroom then, I braided my hair, changed clothes and went downstairs after praying the morning prayer. Damn, this place is huge! The thought of using the stairs every day somehow amazed me (you'll understand if you grew up in a small apartment like me). Well, actually the bare thought of living in this comfortable and big flat was a reason to almost freak out.

Looking around the wide room and my eyes got stuck at the door which Zayn had completely skipped whilst showing me the flat. What was behind it? Why did they pretend like it doesn't exist? Although I was a curious person, I usually kept my questions to myself and didn't dig too deep. The secret of the room was the lads' business after all, not mine. My thoughts about the secret room disappeared as my stomach started to complain about the lack of food it got the past 24 hours, so I decided to enter the kitchen part. After staring at the inside of the fridge for a while, I frustratedly sighed. The fridge was all stodged, too stodged to distinguish between the stuff inside. What kind of mess.

I sighed again, closed the fridge and leaned against the stove when my eyes randomly fell on a crinkled paper in the bin. I don't know what came over me, but I bent down and fished it out. It was a very long bill from a supermarket including Cheese, winnies, milk, water, Coca Cola, Sprite, toast, yoghurt, Nutella, strawberry jam, cherry jam, butter.. etc.

At last I saw the date and time. I swallowed. Today. At 6:08 AM.

Did someone go to the supermarket to buy those things.. for .. me?

I shook my head. Nah, they don't even know me. There has to be another reason. A party, for example..

I threw the bill back into the bin and took some chocolate cereals and milk out of the fridge. After breakfast, I didn't know what to do, so I turned the TV on. It was strange to zap through the British channels. Frustrated, I turned the TV off again. Since I didn't know what to do, I slowly took the stairs upwards, quietly humming the melody of an Umm Kulthum song. I already missed my dear country although at the same time it was amazing being in England. In my room then, I grabbed my drawing sketch and my pencil case and sat down on the bed. Reading and drawing.. two things that can put my mind and soul at ease. And I really wish to be put at ease and forget that I am VERY far away from home right now..

After doing a few sketches, I put my drawing stuff away, so my room won't get untidy. I got bored again, so I grabbed my cellphone and sat onto one of the armchairs. I had 4 unread messages. The first two were from my parents, one from Leesha and the last one was from Alia: