𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖗𝖙𝖞-𝕿𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖊

~✧~

"Can you please hurry?", Tom called over his shoulder, watching how far Taraphina had already fallen behind with her horse.

Even though he was a good twenty metres ahead, he didn't miss the annoyed eye roll he got in response.

Gently he pulled on the reins of the black horse and waited until the brunette had finally caught up with him.

"I could if I wasn't so tired," Taraphina shot back when she finally reached him. Tom pressed his thighs against the horse's belly to signal the animal to go on.

"You mean if you weren't so sore?" he harkened.

Taraphina snorted, "It's not my fault, is it?"

"You seem to have enjoyed it very much," Tom pointed out, raising a brow.

Silently, Tara rode on, giving him an annoyed look. Tom followed her silently and continued to observe the surroundings. It was another three hours or so before they finally found the hint of a trail.

Tom still had doubts as he swayed from his horse and walked to the conspicuously large and dead-looking tree stump, but it soon became apparent that it did indeed contain an old map. The grey lady had truly not lied when she had told him that he would know where the diadem was if he was interested in dead wood.

Carefully, he spread out the old parchment and examined the route that was marked on it. The paper seemed to have its best years behind it, in some places it was noticeably soaked and in others the colour of the paper was strikingly even. Gingerly he folded the paper up again.

"We must go that way," Tom said, pointing in a south-westerly direction. He placed his left foot in the stirrup and swung wich back onto the black steed. With a little pressure against the animals' belly, they both galloped off, carrying their two riders along the dusty path.

When they reached the next crossroads, they stopped briefly to reacquaint themselves with the path. Slowly the horses trotted on south.

"Tom," Tara interrupted the silence of nature and sought eye contact with the wizard, "Why is the diadem so important to you?" she asked.

"It is said to give the wearer further intelligence and spiritual power," he explained, but Tara still seemed unconvinced by his answer.

"I'm aware of its corollary, but we both know you don't need that quality from the tiara."

"Yeah I know."

"So what do you want it for then?"

Tom's jaw tightened, thinking.

"You know you can trust me Tom," she tried to coax him, "You have more on me than I have on you. Besides, you've become too important to me to just turn yourself in to the Ministry or God knows where."

"Very well," he replied but hesitated for a moment, "I intend to make the diadem a Horcrux."

"And why necessarily the diadem?" the witch wanted to know.

"Because that way it is also a promise of a good future, then I can be sure that everything will be alright. That I can protect you, that you will be by my side. When I have found this diadem that has been lost for almost 1000 years, I can be sure that I can trust in my abilities. And if that becomes a Horcrux, that's another lifelong assurance besides. "

"So it's like a stock test for you?"

Tom frowned, not liking the way it sounded, but agreed anyway, "Something like that."

Tara nodded and silence fell for a while. At a small stream they stopped and let the horses have a drink. They themselves watered their dry necks before riding on. Then they went on. Up small hills, through small rivers, down steep slopes and through dense undergrowth. It took a total of four hours before they finally reached a small ruin. The supposed place where, according to the map, the Diadem of Ravenclaw should be. The two wizards marvelled at the tower hidden by all the trees. They swung off the exhausted horses and tied them to a tree. Tom took out his wand and so did Taraphina.