𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕱𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖞-𝕰𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙

~✧~

To think that someone would want to help you, that they had a good heart, that they would stand by you; were probably reckless thoughts. Trusting someone was proof. You gave away your greatest weaknesses and could only hope and fear that this trust would last forever, otherwise you would be hurt in the end.

Taraphina still felt infinitely weak, every step she took was sluggish, but day by day it got a little bit better.

She suffered for nothing but a guess. She was suffering even though she was innocent and that was confirmed just four days after she had to take the potion.

It had been Tom's idea, but probably the only way so that the professor would believe in her innocence. She felt foolish to think that the professor could understand the situation Tom and she were in. Even though he had gone through the same thing with her mother, he had now been willing to betray her and doubt her innocence. Their relationship was no longer built on trust; the only people she trusted now were Tom, her brother and her friends.

She could be glad that she had Tom, that he had taken care of her the last few days. Alone, the time would probably have been hell, she could just lie there. Fortunately, he had always been able to calm her down and give her support. He played with her hair and gently stroked her back up and down, he also made sure that the house elves brought them food so that they wouldn't be discovered. Tom's presence would probably have been exceedingly unwelcome in her premises by the other teachers.

She came to appreciate on a whole new level all the things Tom did for her and the more time she spent with him, the more she could also understand his intentions and drive to change the world. The world was cruel and people even more so.

Still weakened, she merely waited each lesson of the day until she could go back to her room and sleep. Homework and studying became secondary for the time being she had to use all her time to regain her strength. The only good thing about it was that she didn't have to worry about otherwise undesirable transformations.

The sun was setting. Taraphina watched through the small window as the otherwise lightly lit green water lost more and more of its colouring and finally turned black. The shadows of the sea creatures could now hardly be made out. The fireplace was still burning slightly in her room, because she was constantly cold at the moment.

Just lying there, absorbed in her thoughts, she hardly noticed the knock on her door. Slowly she rose and dragged her body wrapped in a blanket to the door.

She was confused when she caught sight of Professor Dumbledore on the other side of the threshold.

"I apologise for disturbing you so late Mrs. Malfoy, but from all appearances there is an urgent family problem, which is why your brother has asked for your temporary leave of absence."

Her brow furrowed, "Time off?"

Dumbledore nodded, "I have no further information, it would be appreciated if you would follow me to my office."

"Of course," she agreed and pulled the door shut behind her, unsure if she should be concerned or not.

In silence, she followed the professor as quickly as she could to his office. Indeed, she still found it difficult to keep up with his brisk pace.

"Brax," she greeted him happily when she saw him and dropped into a welcome hug.

"Is everything all right?" she asked anxiously as she pulled back softly.

"We'll discuss that when we get home," he said merely, smiling at her sympathetically.

She nodded and turned back to the professor.