41. I've Been A Fool

Nandini's POV

Sun rays burst from the cracks between violet clouds as the sun itself appeared gloriously in the sky. As the rays kissed our faces, I covered my eyes quickly while Jenna stretched her arms.

"There's so much more you need to learn about us, Nandini. The piece of information you gathered from novels and all is nothing compared to what truly exists." I flicked my eyes to adjust to the bright sunray as Jenna hopped down from the window sill.

"As it is termed... Novels are fictional-- means, a made-up world, thus you can't rely on what is made-up by other mortals and judge our kind. Trust me, The real werewolf world has less complexities and myths involved as you may know." Her mouth stretched into an arch and she smiled with a wink.

I put the hair strands of my disarrayed hair behind my ears and shook my head in concession, "Hmm, I get it now." I felt like a fool talking to a real wolf whom I have only read about in novels as a made-up character.

"Okay then, I'll take your leave." Jenna said with a yawn. "I need a nice shower and some sleep."

"Kk, bye. I'll see you later." She hugged me lightly and disappeared, leaving me alone with Alpha Manik in the room.

I strode to his bed and settled down. I found myself in the same position as Jenna last night— stroking his hair and staring at him longingly. Only, the difference was that she was not the female Alpha Manik liked. But I was.

"I am sorry." I kissed his forehead. "I have been such a stupid fool."

Laying next to him I put my hand on his chest and tried to hug him as carefully as possibly, by not touching his wound.

I closed my eyes as I recalled what Jenna told me about wolves and their mates. And trust me, I have never been this petrified on making a discovery as this before. Not even when I learned I was rescued by an alpha from a factory that sold human females for wolf males and their recreation. What Jenna told me was like a risky walk through a cul-de-sac of a haunted and abandoned old city.

Jenna and I have been sitting here all night and talking about wolves and everything else. I had been a fool to believe what I read in the novels. I had been a fool to think that wolves leave their lovers for mates. That does happen. Except when two people love each other insanely, they release their mates from their mate bond and continue to live with whom they love a lot.

Jenna also told me that recently according to their survey conducted among twenty packs around USA, nearly 75% of wolves rejected (released their destined mates of bond) their mates and married their lovers. So it's not really that a wolf would reject his lover over his mate. This has rarely happened where relationships hardly worked.

She also said that Alpha wolves are... Super possessive and true to their words. This made my heart speed up as I looked up to see Alpha Manik's face.

He was still asleep. The area around his wound has turned blue but Jenna told me it would not affect his healing abilities. He would be completely fine soon.

I elevated myself on my elbows as I stared at his face. He had looked so disappointed when I pushed him away last day and ran away. Even when he ended our conversation with his eerie statement I thought I would not get to see him again as he'd avoid me like before.

I didn't expect this from him. This condition. Ugh, it's all my fault. He purposefully got himself into trouble. The fury I gave birth to in his chest... Came out on someone else. He didn't just kill others but returned badly injured.

"I am sorry but I didn't know my words will hurt you so much." I whispered, hoping that he was hearing.

He couldn't though as he was deep in sleep. We have slept together in the same bed several times and I have learned that he is a deep sleeper.