90. Meeting Lelah

Hii Fam, sorry for being late but yk this story is on a dead-end point. I need time to think and write from here on.

Enjoy reading ❤️

***

90. Meeting Lelah

Manik's POV

The tips of my fingers charred with searing warmth as I hesitantly extended my hands to touch the little bundle of curiosity grazing me with an inquisitorial look. She lowered her eyes at my hands, then came up to blink her thick long lashes at me.

I was nervous around her. My body acting out of my reserved accords. As soon as I came to Denver and told Richard's mother about his death along with Gianna's, she swooned and wept over losing them. I was glad I avoided the kidnapping part or else the old lady would have taken the trauma to her brain and fell into fatal oblivion.

Just like Lelah, she had nobody to call family. She was alone. Orphan as she called herself.

It took a hug and a kiss to her sweaty and strained forehead to ensure her of the good that's to come. That I was not a bearer of bad tidings even though my visit only brought her terminal affliction. I had to hold her to my chest like I would have done to my mother in such a strung out circumstance as I muttered to make everything alright.

She sobbed and said that I would never be able to make anything right in her life. Because all the love and care she had expected coming from people were dead now. And that strangers never assisted old ones like her. Ones who have the burden of an orphan toddler on them.

Since she was oblivious of our world and the fact that her daughter-in-law was a werewolf, I didn't bring it in front of her. But I had to or else I wouldn't have gotten the chance to see Lelah. Her grandmother had grown overprotective in a few minutes, since I arrived, of her granddaughter as she mumbled to keep her safe from this world even if she had to put her own life, whatever was left of her living years, at stake for her son's daughter.

"Hey, sweetheart," Merriment unfurled in me as Lelah came into my arms without getting scared.

Usually toddlers are uncomfortable around strangers and prefer their parents or grandparents' arms. But Lelah curiously came to me.

"You are so cute." She giggled as if she knew what I was saying.

Her eyes resembled her mother's. Her skin was pale and freckled like her father's. She glowed as she poked a finger to my jaw, exploring my face. I stood quietly with her in my arms. I didn't move as I was scared that I might hurt her.

Although you can't hurt a baby just by holding her, I stayed taut and let the bundle of curiosity in my arms play with my face. She giggled and mumbled something incoherently. Then she closed her fingers around my prickly jaw and started licking my chin.

I laughed nervously, looking out for her grandmother to help me with her toddler. She just grinned amidst her wet eyes that never ceased crying and whispered, "She used to do that to her father. It's her way of kissing and showing her love."

Warmth slammed in my stomach. Lelah was showing her endearment to me... Like she used to show to her father. I didn't understand whether to be happy about it or shed tears.

Happy because she was unknowingly accepting me. And be sorrowful because she would not get to do that to her father.

A sense of possessiveness emerged in my chest. I moved slowly, warily as I tried not to hurt Lelah, and hugged her to my chest. My mouth plastered her head with lots of kisses as tears gathered in my eyes.

"I love you so much already, munchkin." She smiled as though she heard me. "And I will not let any harm come to you."

Rubbing her back reluctantly- as I was still sure what was the right way to hold a baby, I met her Grandma's eyes. She was wiping her cheeks with a painful grin on her mouth.

"I want you to come with me to my pack, Mrs. Donovan. You will be safe in my house and I am sure you'll feel comfortable around my family." I saw agitation come to the surface in her eyes. "I don't know what you think of werewolves, ma'am, but rest assured we don't bite."

The corner of her mouth quivered. I closed the gap between us and as soon as I reached her, Lelah jumped into her Grandma's arms. She assessed her face and raised a finger to her eyes, "Is gwanny crying?"

"No sweety, it's the dust." Mrs. Donovan chuckled and combed Lelah's hair.

"She has her full life ahead of her." I said, tickling Lelah's belly. "I know I am the last person you would ever want to be Lelah's father but-"

"I am glad you came." The old woman cut my words and said.

I watched her face. Once it was disconcerted and full of shivers. Now it was vibrant with gratitude and light I didn't think I would ever see on her face.

"I don't think I would have been able to give Lelah the love of her parents. She's very clever and full of questions. It would have been hard answering them if she asked me where her parents are. They are..." She trailed off and bit her lips.

I rubbed her arm and told her there was no need to say anything. I could only imagine what was going within her, and by making her express what she felt about me, I didn't want to make it more difficult for her.

Although I wished to give her more time to cherish their house and the memories of her son and daughter-in-law that wouldn't go along with her, I insisted she should rush. Today was my father's birthday. I wanted to be there. Moreover, I wanted Lelah to meet her new family and get acquainted with them.

Dad was already waiting on her when I told him I was going to bring her to our house and take her as my daughter. He had squealed in merriment and claimed that he would be the best grandfather to her. Mom was no less. She was so excited for the news, though she mourned over Gianna's death and the marriage she thought I would have with her after she recovered, that she instantly left to buy new things for Lelah.

I was watching Mrs. Donovan shudder and weep as she stood before their house. Her stuff was packed and loaded in the car. Lelah was wandering around me like an eager moth around fire. She was sort of playing some game with me wherein she giggled, palmed her face and ran away before she came back again to heed me.

When Mrs. Donovan was done admiring her house, she picked up Lelah and advanced toward the car. I followed her. We settled inside and started moving when Lelah peered out of the open window with her blinking eyes.

"Gwanny, where are we going?" She spoke hushfully but I could decipher it from the last word.

"To a new house where you will have a lot of toys." Mrs. Donovan said dramatically.

My lips curved up seeing the smile on Lelah's lips. But it deflated and her cute bare-there brows drew together, "Without mommy and daddy?"

The old woman's face pales. Her mouth shook and she chewed on her bottom lip to suppress her crying in front of Lelah. As the question was repeated again, Mrs. Donovan cast her eyes in my direction asking for help.

"Lelah, come and look at this. There's a cow." I spoke in an overly made up excited tone and took the little girl in my lips.

She knew where to look out of the window as I held her gently, "Cow? What is a cow?"

"There's the cow. Do you see it?" I pointed out, my tone still the same made up excited, at nothing in the outstretched green lawns like it was a greenfield with cattle as we crossed by them.

"It's nice." She responded compassionately and clapped her hands, enjoying the sight of houses going behind us.

Damn. She's so innocent.

Lying to a toddler is the biggest sin a man could commit. I've learned this so far. I don't want to commit it over and over again. I hope it won't be too long before Lelah sees me as her dadda and Nandini as her mamma.

Nandini.

Her images plummeted in my mind. It's been, I don't know how long, since I have seen her until my heart's content. Or held her until I warmed up.

I miss you so much, Nandini. And I truly hope that looking at Lelah would make you forget how big of a jerk I could be during tough times.

I can't wait to hold and kiss you again.

Tbc..

Target: 200 votes 50 comments