71. I paid for you, sweetheart.

Nandini's POV

I tried to get up and away from him. Unfortunately, the trauma caused by his words weighed down on me like a pile of steel beams. I couldn't move a muscle let alone pick up myself and go out the door.

Harshad stood there, observing me at my lowest. I wanted the asswipe gone. But I guess he was waiting until I asked for his help.

Not even in his dreams.

I attempted to get up. My feet twisted due to the long heels and I went back on my butt. I tried it again. No success this time either.

With a bored sigh, Harshad forwarded his right hand. Pretending like he was invisible I gave it another go.

"You'd never get back up with those heels on, Nandini. Let me help you." Fuck off.

My mouth might be dry as hell, my resilience wasn't. I continued to try to get onto my feet when he forcibly held my elbow.

"Don't touch me." I wriggled to get out of his hold.

The door to our right swung ajar and stepped in Chris, "What the bloody hell!"

I can't express the relief that spread in my core as I laid my eyes on him. I threw myself in his arms as he came to get me from Harshad. He hugged me to his chest and growled in pure vexation.

"What the fuck were you doing here with Nandini?" He asked Harshad.

More footsteps approached us on this side of the door. My guards crowded the square shaped space as I held onto Chris.

"I saw her stumbling on her way out and came to help." Harshad lied.

What else would he say to them? I couldn't care less about his lies right now. I just wanted to go home, hence I endorsed in, "He tells the truth."

I would love the boys to beat him to a pulp... Or just end him once and for all. That'd terminate my fear of a certain purchaser who's waiting to claim me. However, I recalled him being nice to me despite his unsettling words at the end.

"He wanted to help, Chris." I lied further.

"You should have called me, Nandini." Chris rubbed my back.

"Just take me home now." Picking me up, Chris hurried out of the small space.

I hid my face in his chest not wanting to see Harshad. We went down the escalator to the car parking and rolled out of there. My guards followed us in their own car behind.

Although I was sad for leaving the event before shaking hands with Mr. Archibald, the relief of going back home was much more intense. The meeting with Harshad was not foreseen and his words sucked the very strength out of my body.

I didn't feel safe unless I rested back in my bed over the soft pillows. The feeling of being home washed over me and I smiled at Chris.

"Thank you so much, Chris. I owe you for this."

"I should apologize for leaving you alone, Nandini." He rubbed the back of my hand in my lap. "I'll get something for you to eat."

Closing my eyes as Chris stepped out, I heaved a sigh. Gosh, I feel half torn from the inside. Harshad's words not letting me rest peacefully, no matter how hard I tried to exercise normal breathing.

"You're so early— hell, Manik!" Eerie tingles of otherworldly chills expanded through my body finding Manik on the door.

"What the fuck happened to you now?" He walked inside the room while Chris held his ears in raw apology, standing on the doorstep, as if I was going to be in trouble because of him.