108. One last request

Nandini's POV

The accumulating heat in the pit of my stomach turned my vision blurry with need. His throat throbbed in my grip as his gaze smiled. It lodged a punch of weakness in my chest. I could feel his lips dancing with a teasing smirk behind the vines.

I let his throat go like letting go of a naked wire before it electrocuted me. Raw fury engulfed the entirety of my body as I looked up at his face again. My heart was punctured and bleeding to remorse. Yet all he had to do was smirk like he fucking owned me and knew the effect this situation was having on me.

Feeling the flames of betrayal lick and slurp at my heart, I found the sharpest twig from around. The area was bathed in a startling, radiant glow. Allowing me a clear look of his face and around me. Birds chirped welcoming the new morning while here I darted the pointed end of the twig straight at his heart.

"Infidels deserve death." I punched out from between my sobs. "But don't worry, Manik Malhotra, I'll make it quick for you."

He seemed ready. Wait, he was not just ready. He was looking forward to dying by my hands as if it was an honor.

His trickling tears weakened my heart. The twig that was surging forward to poke him descended at my feet as my grip loosened. I fell to my knees and white smoke emerged, wrapping around me like a cocoon.

Before I knew what was happening, I was taken back to Selene's court of justice. She sat on her throne with the usual soft smile like the first warm ray of sun. Beside her was an iron cage with litters of wolf pups. They were snoring quietly.

"They are my children you sent back to me, Nandini." Selene said, making a surge of disappointment course through me.

"They returned to you as pups?"

"Mm-hmm, in the shape I descended them on earth— As cute pups. But you must know who they became on earth was not because of me. I sent them like other pups— with a clean heart and good intentions imbued. It was their own choice to go astray and become who they became, Nandini."

The pups looked at peace. An urge to cuddle them bloomed within me. I had to remind myself that these were the bastards who assaulted and murdered my mother. If anything, I should be feeling like strangling them to death.

"What will you do with them now?"

"Basically I send my pups back to earth, giving them another chance to live a good life once they die and come back to me. However, I will not ignore the fact that they are your criminals. And your mother's. So they will not get another chance."

I smiled at her words, feeling relieved that the fuckers won't get to litter earth again.

"You wanted to kill Manik, didn't you? Why did you stop, Nandini?" I returned to my senses with a jolt.

Staring at her, I replayed her words in my head.

The thought of killing Manik made bile climb up my throat and made my mouth bitter. I clutched my lashes tight and held back tears. I couldn't kill him. It's ironic but I still love him. I love him too damn much to hurt even a hair on his bloody skin. Much less put something through his chest to puncture his heart.

"I see your love came in the way." I choked on a breath.

Yes, it did. So what?

Isn't love a universally certified and accepted bitch? It fucked up my brains like it had done to many other people.

"If you can't do it with your hands then I can hell you, Nandini."

"Don't even think about touching my Manik!" I immediately regretted the exclamation.