☾.˚˖⁺✦[Kicking Ass]✦˙⊹˚☽

Alina glanced up the road to see nothing but darkness ahead.

"WHAT?!" Milo screeches causing Alina to whip her head in his direction. "You're my sister! Holy shit!" He begins to jump before jumping into Alina's arm, hugging her tightly, not wanting to let go. He abruptly pauses from continuing his ramble of words, his grip around Alina loosens. Alina looks down at the boy with worry at the sudden change in his mood.

"What's wrong? I thought you had said you always wanted siblings," Alina spoke softly. A nervous feeling that Alina knows all too well churns in the pit of her stomach. Instantly, worrying if Milo has changed his mind about wanting a sibling. Or maybe Alina is not what Milo wanted as a sister, not what he expected, or dreamt of.

Milo slowly pulls away from the hug before looking up at Alina. Brown meets green.

"I don't want to ask this and I think I already know the answer, but... where are our parents?" The four words that Alina dreaded him asking. The four words that Alina did not even know the answer to. The four words that have always haunted Alina in a way. "Did they leave you too?"

"Milo..." Alina's eyes softened before she continued. "I was born in a place called Eichen House. It was where mom lived. It was- and still is not- a nice place. The people were not kind to her... she died in Eichen House five years ago." Alina could feel herself on the verge of crying, and seeing the singular tear drop roll down Milo's cheek made the need for her to cry only become stronger. "I'm sorry," she apologized.

She carefully pulled him into her arms for another hug. This one is vastly different from the first. No longer full of joy and excitement that radiated off the young boy, however full of sadness, regret, and guilt. Milo clung to Alina, not as tight as before, but still tight enough to make sure she did not leave him either.

A sudden realization dawned on Milo. "What about our dad?" His voice came out in a squeak- faint and quiet.

"I don't know. Never met him," she told him truthfully. Alina knew that if she was in Milo's place, she would be asking these questions too and she would want to be told the truth, not wanting anyone to sugarcoat anything like people always seem to do in situations like this. Like when her mother had died, she asked how and why. The nurses just hugged young Alina before saying, 'your mom is now in a better place.'

"Do you think he will ever come looking for us?" Milo asked, hope weaved through each word.

"I'm not sure, Milo. I hope," she smiled sadly.

A blinding light came from down the road, Alina raised her hand to hold it in front of her eyes in an attempt to ease the brightness and clear her vision. Milo turned around in the hug to see where the light was coming from, squinting his eyes to get a better look.

A Chevy Camaro comes to a halt on the side of the road in front of where the two stand. The window squeaked as it was rolled down to reveal a face of a lady who smiled kindly at them. "Hey kids," she waved. "Want a ride?" The person that sat on the driver's side lowered his head and leaned forward for Milo and Alina to see him. A sense of relief and joy overtook Alina while worry and fear overtook Milo. Milo, an eleven-year-old kid, had been taught and told about strangers pulling over on the side of the road and asking if you would like a ride or to go home to see their puppies. And, that is when you should be starting to run for your life, in the opposite direction.

"Derek!" Alina beamed.

"Found your brother?" He asked, even though it is completely obvious by the young boy standing beside Alina.

"Obviously, dumbass," she rolled her eyes.

"Good, 'cause we need your help." The lady spoke up. "Hop in." Alina nodded, not asking any questions before climbing into the cramped backseats of the Camaro. She gestured for Milo to get in as well, to which he was hesitant to do. He believed Alina was truly his sister, but he did not know if he should trust these other two people. "Come on, we don't bite." The lady smiles sweetly. Milo gulped before climbing in beside Alina, scooting closer to where she was sitting. "I'm Braeden," she introduced herself to the two kids in the back.