CHAPTER-1

The forest in the mortal realm has become a labyrinth of snow and ice

The forest in the mortal realm has become a labyrinth of snow and ice. Two villagers were pulled farther from their home than usual, due to hunger.  "Jump down, Xander" said the elder sister. The boy turned to face his sister like an angry cat. She raised her eyebrows. He sighed and jumped down soon followed by his sister. The icy snow crunched under their fraying boots. Only a few hours of daylight remained, if the party of two didn't leave soon they might need  to navigate their way home in dark. With warnings of giant wolfs and deadly men walking around the area they need to rush back home while there is light to see.

The younger brother tugged on his sister's sleeve and pointed towards a bush. Bushes across the clearing rustled. The sister handed her bow to her brother. Xander looked at his sister dumb founded. Bow and arrows are not his forte. Hand daggers are more his style. She nodded her head. He drew the bow and notched an arrow. They peered through the thorns and both of their breath caught.

Less than thirty paces away from them stood a small doe. A deer like that can feed their family for a week or more. Thoughts rushed through both their minds as the younger one took aim. They could dry half the meat and immediately eat the rest, stew, pies....... Her skin could be sold, or perhaps turned into clothing for one of them. He needed a new dagger and she needed a new boots, Elain needed a new cloak and Nesta was prone to crave anything someone else possessed.

Xander readied himself to release the arrow but there was a pair of shining golden eyes from the bush adjacent to them. The elder one placed her finger on her lips. The whole forest went silent. The wind died. Even the snow stilled. A wolf. Concealed in the thicket the wolf inched closer it's eyes set on the doe. He was enormous-size of a pony. The wolf remained unheard and unspotted by the doe despite its size. Xander turned towards his sister thinking the worst. A fae. She shakes her head. She plucked another arrow one made to wound the immortal fae, made from ash wood with an iron head. It will slow the healing of fae long enough for someone to strike the killing blow. Xander notched the ash wood arrow and kept his movement minimal. He would be very lucky if he killed the wolf. He drew the string further back. Xander and his sister debated between the wolf and doe. If the wolf struck the doe there wouldn't be much left. They can't risk it.  They waited.

The wolf shot from the bush in a flash of gray and white and black, his yellow fangs gleaming. The doe didn't stand a chance. Xander fired the ash arrow before the wolf destroyed much else of her. The arrow  embedded into its side. The wolf released the doe's neck. Blood staining the snow. It turned towards the siblings. Xander notched another arrow and released it. The  arrow went straight into those gleaming yellow eyes. With a final cry of anguish the wolf fell down. After few minutes the snow stilled around the wolf. It stilled.

"Gods, Feyre. We can get fortune for its hide" Xander semi shouted. Feyre hissed. "I am shutting my mouth" he said and unsheathed his old dagger. "Let's skin him and leave home" Feyre said. Xander grinned and both the siblings started their work. They wrapped the wolf hide around the doe's death wound. Xander hoisted the doe onto his shoulder, Feyre cleaned the arrows as best as she can. The siblings set off towards their village with the remaining sunlight.