CHAPTER-3

Xander didn't know how the wooden hilt of his hunting knife had gotten into his hands

Xander didn't know how the wooden hilt of his hunting knife had gotten into his hands. The gigantic beast with golden fur snarled. It was a blur of  snarling and shrieking of Elain and Nesta. It was not the creature the mercenary talked about. It was something worse. The beast must be as large as full grown horse. Xander needs to be strong for the sake of his family. He need to protect them, they are his priority. If he was in the forest at the moment, one look at the beast's dagger like claws and yellow fangs, he would have offered himself to the beast.

Xander and Feyre rushed up in-front of their sisters. The beast reared on its hind legs and bellowed "MURDERERES" . It was another word echoed in Xander's head:
Faerie.

Xander dared a glance over his shoulder. His sisters screamed, kneeling in front of the wall of the hearth, his father crouched in front of hem. Great another body for him to defend. He saw Feyre looking behind the beast, where her bow and quiver with ash arrow sat. He might need to distract the beast long enough so that Feyre has enough time to reach across and fire the arrow. Xander took another step forward, praying to old gods that Feyre will understand what he was doing. "MURDERERES" the beast roared again Xander halted his movements.

"Please" Xander's father babbled from behind him, failing to find it in himself to defend his children. "Whatever we have done, we did so unknowingly, and..."

"W-w-we didn't kill anyone" Nesta added, choking on a sob. Xander never heard Nesta's voice so broken. Xander took another step forward brandishing the hunting knife before him. "Get out" he snapped. Feyre was behind him in a flash of light with a dinner knife. "Get out and begone" said Feyre her voice surprisingly even. The beast bellowed in response and the entire cottage shook, the plates and cup rattling against one another. But it left the massive neck of beast exposed. Xander hurled his hunting knife.

Fast— so fast anyone could barely see it— the beast slashed out with a paw, sending the knife skittering away as he snapped for Xander's face with his teeth. Feyre pulled Xander back. It was just a warning, the fae could have killed him, but it was just a warning. Nesta screamed for her brother get back. But Xander stood his ground. He was trembling inside, but he can't risk it.

"WHO KILLED HIM?" The beast stalked towards them.  Xander took one more daring step. The beast sniffed him. "Killed who?" Xander challenged.

He growled low and vicious. "The wolf," he said and Xander's heart stumbled a beat. Elain screamed louder. "A wolf?" Xander kept his chin up.  "A large wolf with a grey coat" he snarled. Xander pondered his thought and looked at Feyre. "If it was mistakenly killed, what payment could we offer in exchange?" Feyre asked as calmly as she can.  Xander prayed to old gods that it all will be a nightmare and he would wake up any moment.

The beast let out a bark that could have been a bitter laugh. He pushed of the table to pace in a small circle before the shattered door. The winter wind bites Xander. "The payment you must offer is the one demanded by the Treaty between our realms."