Chapter-23

He is a coward

He is a coward.
Azriel is a coward.
He is the coward who left his mate crying on the doorsteps. He is the coward who was afraid of his mate accepting his own mating bond. He is the coward who is afraid of reality. He is the coward who is afraid of accepting the truth.

Morning sun burned his skin as Azriel stood outside the cabin he built in the outskirts of Velaris. It was like the sun knew. Knew what he did to his Xander. The sun was showing Xander's fury. The cabin is a silent retreat he built to have some peace and quiet. But he didn't feel any peace or quiet yesterday night. Xander's scream continued to echo in his ears all throughout his night. His eyes were bloodshot and cheeks were tear strained. His throat was closed from swallowing all the loud sobs that would have rattled the Illyrian mountains.

He didn't get a wink of sleep last night. Whenever he closed his eyes the mating bond pulsed inside him. His shadows left him alone the moment he came here. They still haven't returned back from wherever they are. They are also angry with him. Azriel is sure that he just blew up the grain of chance he had with Xander.

He stood there, just stood without his shadows, sun beating down on him mercilessly. He just stood there. A man without hope. A man without love. A man without his mate. Without his Xander.

Distant ruffling and snapping of branches caught his attention. His hand went straight to truth teller. He can turned around arms raised and ready to throw the dagger.

"Hello Az."

The dagger slipped from his hand and dropped to the ground. Azriel's knees gave away and they slumped to the ground. There he stood. Surrounded by a hurricane of shadows ready to pounce if given notice. The shadows are both his and the ones Xander created for himself.

Xander was kneeling before him in an instant. Shadows surrounded both of them and took them to the shadow of the large oak tree. The moment their knees touched the ground the shadows retreated back to Xander.

"How?" Azriel asked. His voice beating threatening to give out. Xander's face is a mask of neutral calm. Azriel couldn't meet his gaze. He diverted his eyes to the ground. His eyes stung, his heart was beating like crazy. The mating bond was pulsing inside him. The bridge was as clear as a day.

"I had some help," Xander shrugged. The shadows. He must have listened to the shadows. Azriel could not help the pride swelling inside of him. His lips tugged up as he imagined Xander swearing like a sailor trying to control the little rascals.

"I think you know why I am here, don't you?" Xander asked him. He just sat on the ground in front of him. His white shirt doing very little to hide his body. Azriel sat before him cross legged.

"Xander....." Azriel started.
"No," Xander interrupted him. "Look up, shadow singer," Xander commanded him. Mother above Xander is angry. The tone in which he said shadow singer made him gulp loudly.Azriel hesitantly met his gaze. His eyes were unreadable. Rhys. He is following what Rhys does most of the time. He is wearing a mask. The anticipation will kill him, if Xander didn't kill him first.